Vitamin "I"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up.......I think the key info here is that the 'risk is extremely low for a healthy person' and that the risk 'increases with dosage and prolonged use'. Milk can kill you if you over indulge...Indeed people have died from drinking too much water....

In addition to healthy food and hydrating with water and electrolytes on hikes, I take 3 generic ibuprofens prior to an especially long or challenging outing. Vitamin I will always be part of my 'gotta have' kit right next to my iodine tablets!
....Jade

One thing to remember is that ANYONE can have an adverse reation to ANY medication. No medication completely safe. An over the counter medication can be just as dangerous as a prescribed medication.

One wonders how much of these reports is politics and how much is science. Well, we can only take it at face value.

I do take Ibuprofen occasionally (fact is I weep that the expiration date on small containers has lapsed before I use them up) and always felt if I had to take it too regularly I should also be seeking other remedies such as physical therapy, orthodics or ace bandages, other medication ... medical advice.

My approach is to view it through the same thought process as an investment. Is the risk worth the return?

In the case of Ibuprofen I think the risk for most people is probably very very low and the return high in eliminating pain. However, that could vary drastically from person to person and an understanding of the pathology behind the pain could effect the decision of how much, if any, risk to take.

For example, if the pain is muscular, grit your teeth and bear it. The cause is not enough use of those particular muscles. Hike more.

If the pain is inflammation with no other damage, then ibuprofen helps.

If the pain is say from worn cartilege, ibuprofen may only mask something that needs to be addressed more seriously.

My analysis also considers that from time to time the ibuprofen upsets my stomach, a dminishment of the "return". Damn ... I hate the trade offs ... will it be ibuprofen or jalapenos ...

I think the key words are routine use. I am not a medical professional, but I believe Vioxx, etc. are/were prescribed for daily use. To use a OTC pain medicatuion before, during or after a hike a few times a month is a lot different than using it every day.

I believe this study is presented as a reason to bring Vioxx back on, not to discourage ibuprofen use;

"The experts concluded that the Cox-2 inhibitors are no more dangerous than traditional painkillers known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs, including ibuprofen. There are many other NSAIDs on the market."

The heart risk occured in those with daily usage over 18 months;

"Even in the case of Vioxx, the likelihood that an individual taking the drug would have a heart attack or stroke is relatively small. In a study of 2,600 patients, there were 15 heart attacks or stroke per 1,000 patients among those who took Vioxx for longer than 18 months. Among those who took a placebo, there were 7.5 heart attacks or strokes per 1,000 patients. And those who took Vioxx for less than 18 months had no increased cardiovascular risk."

Anyone else out there missing their Vioxx ?

The heart risk occured in those with daily usage over 18 months

Well, I've been taking one NSAID or another on a daily basis for the last thirty years.... :eek:

For me it's not an option - damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Recognizing risk factors and acting accordingly is important. I get regular health checks and had a full heart/lung work up when I started hiking again a couple of years ago.

Bob

Ibuprofen works by inhibiting both COX1 and COX2 enzymes. The theory behind Vioxx, Bextra, etc is that COX2 enzymes are particularly important during inflammation. Thus, treatment can be directed purely at inflammation and thus causing less side effects. Unfortunately, one of the substances that the COX2 enzyme creates helps to inhibit platelet aggregation. So when you inhibit the COX2 enzyme, it puts a person in a more favorable state for blood clots. Thus, theoretically, ibuprofen could potentially have the same effect. But ibuprofen also inhibits COX1 enzymes. This action helps prevent platelet aggregation. Which is why a baby aspirin is recommended for many people. I have not seen any definitive study stating that ibuprofen is particularly harmful. I use ibuprofen and naproxen (Aleve) once in a while when I hike, and I believe that these NSAIDS are pretty safe. It seems that several of the COX2 inhibitors will probably make it back out to the market as well, albeit with a black box warning.

aviarome