What gear do you plan to add this year?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - EMS just sent out a coupon for 20% off any regular priced coupon - we just received ours in the mail. This coupon says that you can only use one per day - hint (make several trips :>)

Bread bags

GlennS said:
Bob, I use bread bags for VBL socks. I prefer wheat. My feet tend to sweat profusely but are surprisingly comfortable with the bags over a poly liner sock.

Right!! I've heard that before. Thanks for reminding me.

take a close look...

I'm looking for a 4000 -4500 cubic inch backpack that weighs under 3.5 lbs.

Also, a 'weekender' bear cache: my wife & I can't quite manage 6 days of food in one full size bear cache.

GlennS said:
I'm looking to get a Black Diamond Spot headlamp. I was amazed by how bright it is for an LED.

Glenn: Here's a thought: I was about to purchase the 'Spot' headlamp, then I tried to change the batteries in the store. Both I & the sales rep endured quite a process getting the teeny tiny tab to cooperate; I didn't look forward to trying THAT with cold hands. . . Have since received the Petzl Tikka Myo as a gift, which is working out extremely well.

Bob: vapor barrier sox: I use newspaper sleeves. I just tuck in the tops inside the tops of the poly pro sock to prevent them (the vbls) from slipping down. They are free, always last at least a day, & make terrific trash (or TP) containers after the hike.

Ed

Ed, I read your post about 1 hour too late. You're right about the battery compartment. It does get easier, a little, after you've done it a few times. If you rotate the bracket past 90 degress, a bump on the bracket depresses the battery door and it pops open.

I keep lithium batteries in the headlamp and also carry a spare. So...I'm hoping I won't have to find out how to change the batteries in the cold.

I do like the lamp though; I think I'll keep it.

Thanks for the heads up,
Glenn

Low gaiters
Lighter weight boots
Ice climbing gear (better crampons, helmet, ice axes, etc)
I can always use lighter gear even though I have nice stuff now.

Otherwise I've also about reached saturation, although is there really any such thing?

<whining here>

I don't want to replace my gear. I like my gear.

But the stuff does wear out eventually. Then I find out "They" don't make it anymore: The Perfect Boots -- no longer available; The Best Jacket Ever -- only in useless street colors with a too tight fit; The Most Comfortable Base Layer -- not in your size anymore; etc., etc. I'm so annoyed.

I think I'm over being a gear junkie. :mad:

Well, there are a few things Im looking at purchasing this year:

I love my Kelty Redwing, but the problem is that its 3200 cubic feet of storage is still just too small for all my winter gear needs. Its not so much the quantity of stuff I take, but bulk (Some of you might be surprised how much space a 2XL Parka takes up ;) .) SO, since I eventualy plan on taking up backpacking Im looking into a decent sized backpacking pack that can also serve as a winter pack.

Need to finish picking up the last of my winter gear. Just odds and ends stuff like: Emergency shelter, emergency bivy, ice axe, extension fins for my MSR snowshoes, good shell, and probably a new fleece jacket.

As for summer stuff. Not too much needed here. I MIGHT need a new pair of hiking shoes by the end of the year. Id also like to get a decent pair of shorts too. The nylon ones I have now (which are convertable to pants) dont breath too well so I tend to sweat a bit more than usual down there :D .

Brian

P.S. OH, then there is that Hiking Kilt I want.......but thats another story :D :D :D :D

Certainly not critical, but I'd like to get a contraption and/or sleeping pad that converts it to a chair _ but isn't so heavy that I can't take it with me on backpacking trips (versus car camping).

I'm still eyeing/researching a GPS unit. It'd be handy on bushwacks and just plain fun on regular hiking trips so I can admire the trails, distances, elevation gains and other geeky stats when I'm home.

With our attempt on the AT last year we are pretty much at gear saturation too, or at least very satisfied with what we have! But how long will it last?! :) That is always the question... Now, if you were to ask Trailbiscuit, I'm sure he would tell you he needs new xc skis, poles and boots, along with a long list of other things, but that's besides the point!

A note to Alpinista, we both brought Pro Lite 3 Thermarest short pads and the Thermarest Chair Converters with us on the trail. The converters may have seemed extraneous to some, but we loved them. They didn't weight much, and rolled up so they could go down one side of our backpacks like tent poles without getting in the way, and boy were they nice when we were camped out at a tentsite and we didn't have to sit hunched over a rock or log! There's nothing like back support :)

sweeper said:
What new gear are you going to buy/have you bought this year. What gear are you going to replace?

For my birthday, I bought myself new hiking boots (during an EMS 20% off sale!). I'll break them in this year locally while still wearing out my old comfortable pair on the longer trails. By the time my old pair is used up, my new pair will be ready. I also picked up a small headlamp and a WMNF parking permit/pass. I am ready to go! :)

new gear

I look around at all the unused "gear" I have from 10+ years ago and kinda wish I had less. For instance, those "Super Gaiters", the heavyweight expedition headlamp, and the Whisperlite stand seemed like good ideas at the time. Now I wish I could reclaim that time/money and donate it to the SPNHF or the Cohos Trail. That said:

- I'm sewing a new ray-way quilt, this one with a bit more insulation for spring/fall
- I'd like to get a rain hat (ideas welcomed)
- I need new trail runners

:( Until I get a job I'll have to be happy with my new boot laces I purchased at EMS today, I should have used my 20% off coupon I would have saved .60 cents.

New hiking poles

A new set of hiking poles that are shorter when slid into the sides of my summer pack. My current poles, which are relatively beat up, stick up too high and catch on bushes, trees, etc. I'm going to look for a good sale on poles that will accept a screw/bolt mount modification as a monopod for photography.

Time to replace the cooking pot.....going titanium this time around. I've been eyeing a new lighter sleeping bag too, but we'll see. New hiking shoes are a given....every year.

wants vs. needs

Needs, After a few recent hikes, I have determined that I have used all the "useful life" that my Montrails had in them, (now to find a wide, but low volume boot). Second, and being ordered this week (thank you Cabelas) a tougher pair of goretex pants. Tha Pac Lites are nice, but not rip friendly. Last but not least, a new pair of poles. I snapped one off yesterday coming over Times Square after hitting Couchie. Poetic justice, I think. Wants, the minus 20 down bag.........