What to do if you run into a moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started to post a link to the video and then decided not to.

For those who need a horribly graphic lesson in why it's a very bad idea to be near a cow moose and her calf, it's available on the 'Net. (The victim in this instance did nothing more provocative than unwittingly walk out of a building at the very worst time. He died.)

For the rest of you, you can trust me and Rick Sinnott when we tell you to stay the hell away from cows with calves.

I can only offer anecdotal, but extensive experience. Moose are as individual as people. Some have killed people, but 99.99% have never harmed a flea. I have been charged by a bull in February, which is well after the rut. As soon as he saw me running away he stopped and continued browsing. I've petted a bull moose in springtime, although I would not recommend doing this. I've been very close to cows with calves more times than I could count. Then again, I've also watched a sow bear nurse her cubs from eight feet away.

I believe it is all in how a person behaves in the presence of these animals. IMO, it's more dangerous to hike in Tuckerman or Huntington Ravine in times of high avalanche danger than to hang out with animals.

Dentonfabrics idea of mimicing browsing is legitimate. I've done this many times. I just act like another browser, pretending to eat what they eat, and avoiding prolonged direct eye contact. I find moose freindlier than humans.

Happy Trails :)

Another link on surviving wild animal attacks.

It has a minor misprint though: :)
Half way down the page, "If you are attacked by a bear", should read, If you are attacked by a grizzly bear
Feigning death vs a black bear which has attacked you will likely put you on his menu.

I also suspect the author didn't pay attention in English class very well. :rolleyes:

forestgnome said:
...Moose are as individual as people...
That's right...which means you can't pet every bull moose. :) Likewise, some animals, moose or otherwise, are just naturally cranky. This is more common with older animals. Sometimes this is due to chronic pain from old injuries, arthritis, or they're just too old to give a darn anymore...just like people. :D

skiguy said:
I always wonder if the Moose in Baxter are of their own "KLAN" within their Species. Some of them near the campgrounds especially seem somewhat domesticated.

I would tend to agree. I think moose around both Russell pond and Chimney pond lean-tos are very nonchalant around people. We had a mother and calf wake us up one morning at Chimney pond as they ambled casually by not 10ft. away from us.

Neat creatures to enjoy viewing from a safe distance for sure. I'm glad the majority of people realize you can't ride them.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
That's right...which means you can't pet every bull moose. :) :D

Most definately true! I won't ever get that close again myself! But I do love them and being around them. I've spent more than an hour many times just hanging out with moose. It's amazing to watch them walk and listen to their voices.

I like to take pictures of them from a low angle to capture and relate their great size and bulk. I took a long time to get the picture below. In the background, to the immediate left of the bull's face, you can see his recently aquired mate, enjoying the bark from a beech sapling. He kept himself between us. I tried to convince him that I wasn't interested in his woman, without insulting her as unattractive ;)

moose-1.jpg

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
What Do U Do If U Run Into A Mooose?

say "oops sorry didn't see you there, clumsy me"
hope your lawyer is better then his! :D
never tell him he has a great rack! :(
tell him moosetracks is your favorite ice cream :eek:
ask him which way rocky went? :rolleyes:

i can only hope to run into one & have a camera handy if i do

Last edited:
a really stupid question.........

I always carry a whistle on the front strap of my backpack - in case we're lost, need help, etc. But I've wondered - If charged by a bear or moose, what reaction would the animal have to a whistle blast?

Obviously that would only be a measure of last resort!

Great pic, forestgnome!

gram said:
I always carry a whistle on the front strap of my backpack - in case we're lost, need help, etc. But I've wondered - If charged by a bear or moose, what reaction would the animal have to a whistle blast?

Obviously that would only be a measure of last resort!

Great pic, forestgnome!

Yelling, whistles, and barking dogs are very bad if the black bear is up close, especially if the bear is a male. They don't like loud noises in their face.

No idea about moose, but if the moose is actually charging I'd save my breath for evasive maneuvers. ;) :D

I'm curious why the whistle would be a bad idea with a bear...the fact they don't like it would seem to be a vote in favor of using it.?

spider solo said:
I'm curious why the whistle would be a bad idea with a bear...the fact they don't like it would seem to be a vote in favor of using it.?
If he's forty yards away, go for it. If he's four feet away you better think about it. He may take it as an act of aggression and attack. If he does make contact, then blow your whistle all you want...and fight like your life depends on it.

Bears can be a lot like schoolyard bullies. When confronted by one; the last thing you want to do (if he's 3 times your size), is run from him or give him an excuse to attack. Standing your ground without being aggressive will hopefully put doubt in his head as to whether or not he can take you.

BTW: "Standing your ground" has also been demonstrated successfully in encounters against multiple great white sharks. :eek:

spider solo said:
Making noise is often advocated as a method for chasing black bears away. Probably not a good idea with grizzlys.

Doug

Last edited:
vegematic said:
Really? Must've been a big outhouse if the moose was able to use it.
You had to be there to appreciate it I guess but here's the rest of the story.

My father, son and I were sleeping in the Chimney Pond bunkhouse ... oddly, we had the place all to ourselves in spite of being Labor Day weekend, something the ranger referred to as "no impact camping", you pay your fee and don't show up ... when my son woke me up climbing out of the bunks to go to the outhouse.

He came back in an instant and I commented, "That was fast."

"There's a line", he replied.

Indeed there was. A line consisting of one female moose that looked like she was waiting to get in.

In addition to hogging the line, she obviously was not trained in leave no trace ethics. She not only ate the soft woody brouse around the nearby path, she didn't even wait for the outhouse to open up. Ya gotta go ya gotta go. ;)

"moose talk"

I just had a chance to read more of this thread and some of the links.

I have seen people throw rocks at a moose. He was one huge bull and I don't know if they hit him or not.

It was up at a logging camp in Quebec... 1st I thought it was mean...till later it was explained to me that they will come to camp and lick up any antifreeze and stuff that leaks from the trucks and equipment which, of course, is poision...in their way they were trying to save him. (you read of the same problem keeping polar bears from doing the same ...licking the underneath of the tundra vehicles etc)

There was a woman up there in Quebec who made an excellent study and video about Moose...it showed her holding a pair of antlers over her head and one very interested bull moose trying to figure it out.
Anybody know how to get or reference that study. It's in French, I should have gotten it when I had the chance...

We have come across Moose in close proximity from time to time including a mother and her calf up on Sandwhich Mt Nh (I was by myself) .
We were so close together I did use the method of keeping a tree between us and she ambled off.

Up on Moosilauke (which isn't named after moose) a youngish bull moose during it's season came up to the summit and noticed us an others milling about. He purposely came over for a better look at us all. finally he came so close I started to look for shelter among some of those half walls up around there just in case..

Oh yes...ever practice your Moose "talk" with them.

I was in a resturant up north when our friend decides to teach me how to call a moose out during it's season...it was a pretty funny lesson.
Sure there are store bought moose calling stuff available...but whenever they come across a moose they always try to engage it "conversation" to keep it interested.

Knowing I wanted to see a moose from a particular observation stand...my wife and I headed up to around dusk. After a while we heard but did not see any of the moose..just a tiny glimpse of one.

Turns out our friend and his wife were up there about a 1/2 hr earlier...he took full credit for having called it out earlier in his visit....I said geez it didn't work to good for me.

He said well sure it took him (the moose) 20 minutes to come back to the stand but then he could tell from my voice... it's no good.. he an "English"... turned tail and left in dissapointment.

Last edited: