What would you do?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MadRiver said:
. . .
I’m not certain what my friend will do? If he decides to do the Garfield trip I will be supportive and offer him whatever gear he might need and any advice he might seek. If he doesn’t ask for anything, so be it.

I believe you've made a good decision on this, as long as you are comfortable with it. Please let us know how it works out.

G.

It’s not so much that I am comfortable with my decision, as it is I have no choice in the matter. As one poster said, “this is America, and he is the dad.” I do hope my friend does ask for assistance, but if he doesn’t, it’s his trip and I will just bite my lip.

Madriver,

Don't beat yourself up to much. As a youth director I deal with this everyday.

Have you tried some indirect soft skills? If the conversation comes up again, you can say things like, "Yeah, Garfield...that was a very challenging and long hike for me." Or 'Wow, Garfield, what an interesting choice for your first backpacking trip with your kids."

Been my experience that indirect questions/statements help the person (parent) think about the issue at hand and don't lead them down the path of "I'm the parent, They are my kids. I'll raise them the way I want." Once any parent is in that mode, its hard to have constructive dialoge.

Like I posted earlier, I have done Garfield w/kids before. They are long days. You know this parent more than I so I tend to think, by your posts he may be a bit overwhelmed and not even know it. (Jeez...that make sense?).

Like to know how it turns out as well.

Let's hope for great weather then!

I do have to say that we all took a bit of a concerned approach to the question, so let's also hope that it turns out to be one of those trips where everything goes right and the kids end up having the times of their lives....and the dad too.
It will definetly be a memory maker for all of them, here's wishing it's good ones! ;)

What I would do...

MadRiver said:
Recently Tim (the father) has expressed some interest in having the kids hike the 48’s as a way of introducing them to hiking.

They recently did a hike to the first ledges on Welsh and all were completely exhausted.

I suppose your neighbor was only thinking out loud about how neat it would be to go out backpacking with his kids. At this point in time, the trip to Garfield is just a dream and I'd just agree with him that it would be a great thing to do. I wouldn't worry about it until it is clear that he is serious about the trip (i.e. plan a date and start packing) and then I'd only quiz him about whether he has the right gear, etc. and perhaps offer to tag along for support.

Pete_Hickey said:
As things turned out, the oldest and the youngest maintained their interest in hiking/etc. The oldest spent 40 days solo hiking in Nepal at age 19.

Impressive to say the least.

Hey Pete, no more AXE man? Beautiful cat, he looks heavy though. I have two males at home, each one is a 25 pounder. :)

jfb said:
At this point in time, the trip to Garfield is just a dream and I'd just agree with him that it would be a great thing to do. I wouldn't worry about it until it is clear that he is serious about the trip (i.e. plan a date and start packing) and then I'd only quiz him about whether he has the right gear, etc. and perhaps offer to tag along for support.

I believe you are correct, and since they will not be back in NH until the 4th of July holiday, I am not going to worry about the trip.

You might suggest 3 different kinds of shakedown trips:
1. The parent (without the child, but perhaps with experienced adults) tries a moderate backpack in the mountains so he will appreciate the difficulties. Garfield might be a good choice. :)
2. A moderate dayhike with the child.
3. A backyard (or very easy hike in) overnight. Rocky Branch (from the south) to the first shelter might be good. Option for dayhike to Stairs.

A program like this might give both parent and child a chance to ease into the game without overextending themselves.

Doug

Update:

This past weekend my hiking buddy John was able to convince Tim that Mt. Pierce via the Nauman tentsite would be a better choice than Garfield. I believe the proximity to Mizpah Hut won the argument. Tim was able to pick up some gear at McKenzie’s Going Out of Business Sale in Lincoln this past weekend, so the remaining gear that he will need will be supplied by me and John. I feel a little relieved that he chose Pierce over Garfield, and I trust they will all have a good time.