When I Die...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
It's kind of a morbid, but practical topic for the most of us. I also think there's a notion that many people would like to have their ashes spread in the wood or the mountains or something -- the place they like best. I had initially thought it would be cool to be eaten by some animal and then spread around that way but that seems unethical to feed the wild animals and irresponsible to encourage wild animals to indulge in human meat. Then I realized, that hey -- I'm an "Organ Donor" so maybe, someday, someone on this website will even benefit from me dying! Then, the leftovers would go to my friend, Brett, who is a med student somewhere -- he can use them for his autopsy class. He's also gone hiking with me before so he'd understand.

So, does anyone else want their ashes spread around the forest or discreetly buried somewhere? Anyone want their families to erect a plaque or a statue in the woods? Seriously, I'm not too much into statues but if I were, I'd want one placed way in the middle of the woods so that in 1000 years, someone (or NH-Mtn-Hiker) finds them and attributes them to some sort of cult leader or something cool like that.

Does anyone actually have any specific plans that they'd care to share? Not, "I'm going to be buried in a vault..." because while that's ok, it's not really hiking related. I bet more than one has plans to have their ashes scattered in the woods. Do you need permission to do this? I bet it would be frowned on to go on the top of Washington on a windy day and just start tossing them around. Although I recall hearing of at least one such ceremony on the summit of Washington that several VFTT'ers were involved with (spreading ashes, not throwing them around willy nilly).

And, besides keeping it hiking related, let's remember to keep the posts within the good boundaries of taste, reason and the law.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
And, besides keeping it hiking related, let's remember to keep the posts within the good boundaries of taste, reason and the law.

-Dr. Wu

I think it's safe to say that now I've seen everything! ;)

Actually, yes, I've told my wife and kids to scatter my ashes in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. We've talked about a couple of options: The sightseeing flights from Lake Placid may have some problems with blowback into the cabin from propwash, so it might be safer to do it on foot!
I was lucky enough to participate in scattering some of my f-i-l's ashes in his favorite fishing lake in VT a couple of years ago. It was actually a really nice moment, and regardless of my lack of belief in an afterlife it felt like the right thing to do. If he is still around and watching, I'm sure it made him smile. :)

Oldsmores said:
Actually, yes, I've told my wife and kids to scatter my ashes in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. We've talked about a couple of options: The sightseeing flights from Lake Placid may have some problems with blowback into the cabin from propwash, so it might be safer to do it on foot!
I was lucky enough to participate in scattering some of my f-i-l's ashes in his favorite fishing lake in VT a couple of years ago. It was actually a really nice moment, and regardless of my lack of belief in an afterlife it felt like the right thing to do. If he is still around and watching, I'm sure it made him smile. :)
Cool post! Thanks!

-Dr. Wu

It is hard to imagine any of us benefitting by Dr. Wu's demise - even if his organs go on...
If we ever actually finalized our will and did not just talk about how important that it is that we do one I would like to be cremated and scattered...one draw back is I am not sure if the mrs is into that idea...it just sounds a lot more attractive to me than being preserved, put in a box, then a concrete lined grave and slowly rotting over the next millenia...
White Mountains is my logical choice - King Ravine and Pemi would be the choices I would like...

...ahh to know that thousands of other hikers will be pissing on your remains.... :D

I dunno, if I have my ashes scattered somewhere, it wont be on the summit and it would be way way way off trail...

Jay

Once I'm dead, do what you want with the remains. I'll be off hiking the trails ethereal.

I'd would like to give something back, so feel free to leave my body face-down and naked on the Franconia Notch Recreational Trail to be used as a bike rack.

Otherwise, divide me up and scatter me on the remaining summits on my lists. When you get to the last one just burn the patch and set the list on fire.

Either way, I promise not to complain.

Cool thread. I'm also an organ donor. The rest of me I'd want cremated and the ashes spread on Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. Sentimental place for me.

Until then, carpe diem.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I agree: I feel that it is for the survivors to decide what to do with my remains.

In spirit, this approach makes a lot of sense.

In practice, letting other decide usually leads to the "others" fighting about it.

When I'm gone, I believe I'll be gone, but I don't like the idea of my remains being jacked with chemicals, wrapped in a casket and a cement liner, and taking up space for however long. For me, wanting to be cremated and having my ashes spread out is more about not wanting my physical remains to hog real estate the planet needs.

dr_wu002 said:
It's kind of a morbid, but practical topic for the most of us. I also think there's a notion that many people would like to have their ashes spread in the wood or the mountains or something -- the place they like best. I had initially thought it would be cool to be eaten by some animal and then spread around that way but that seems unethical to feed the wild animals and irresponsible to encourage wild animals to indulge in human meat. Then I realized, that hey -- I'm an "Organ Donor" so maybe, someday, someone on this website will even benefit from me dying! Then, the leftovers would go to my friend, Brett, who is a med student somewhere -- he can use them for his autopsy class. He's also gone hiking with me before so he'd understand.

So, does anyone else want their ashes spread around the forest or discreetly buried somewhere? Anyone want their families to erect a plaque or a statue in the woods? Seriously, I'm not too much into statues but if I were, I'd want one placed way in the middle of the woods so that in 1000 years, someone (or NH-Mtn-Hiker) finds them and attributes them to some sort of cult leader or something cool like that.

Does anyone actually have any specific plans that they'd care to share? Not, "I'm going to be buried in a vault..." because while that's ok, it's not really hiking related. I bet more than one has plans to have their ashes scattered in the woods. Do you need permission to do this? I bet it would be frowned on to go on the top of Washington on a windy day and just start tossing them around. Although I recall hearing of at least one such ceremony on the summit of Washington that several VFTT'ers were involved with (spreading ashes, not throwing them around willy nilly).

-Dr. Wu
Frank, it's easy to contemplate this kind of stuff when you're, what 32? At 62, it's the last damn thing I want to contemplate! :cool:

For years my kids have been under strict instructions to spread my ashes in the woods. I will come back to haunt them if they inject chemicals in my veins! And I don't wear makeup now so why would I want to wear it after I'm dead?!

If I drop while I'm out hiking I'd prefer to just be dragged off the trail, covered with some rocks and left to return to the elements, but I don't think they could get away with that, so I guess they'll have to have a campfire. ;)

But right now I don't have time to die. It will just have to go on the to do list.

I have ALWAYS hated the idea of being put in a box and placed so I take up valuable ground space. My family knows its burn me up and send me to the winds from Mt. Washington (I have a lot of non-hiking family members and this is the most practical peak, that I like, that would allow them to be there for the ceremony.) Actually, I hope to have the last laugh. Hopefully a stiff wind blows just as my ashes are scattered, they blow into all the tourists food and no one wants to ever come back, gets into the eyes of the cog operator and cause the train to derail and they deem it financially prohibative to rebuild it, and the summit building (ok, save the weather station) burns to the ground when an Auto Road coach careens into a propane tank because my ashes got into the breaks and caused tem to slip............wow, I need to get real, huh!? :D

Brian

huck me off Jefferson into the breeze.

Then again, maybe a dollop of me and a good scoop of cow poop with every seed potato stuck in the ground here in good old NH :D

Damon

bury me please....

Actually I look forward to having my body jacked up with chemicals and put in a box.
At least the 1st part of that would be nostalgic..at least for me.

I will be buried and take up space because I believe cemeteries could well be the future "parks" of an overcrowded world.

I have already read articles about people living in cemeteries because there was nowhere else to live. (I think it was in India but couldn't swear to it).

Hopefully I will be saving a piece of green grass above my bones for future generations to enjoy.

After an Irish-style wake, attended by thousands, reduce me to ashes, and scatter me to the four winds. Mt. Washington is my choice, for several reasons, but anywhere in the Whites would work.