When I Die...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dms said:
Frank, it's easy to contemplate this kind of stuff when you're, what 32? At 62, it's the last damn thing I want to contemplate! :cool:

I am in this age group also and getting this all written out in my will made me feel much better.
No wake, no church services, cremation, and ashes scattered in the wind on the Rockpile. I even selected the readings. The first is the nice poem that is on the wall in the dining room at PNVC by "Kibbee". The second is "The Road Less Travelled". No fanfare. Those who can I specified should hike up and the others can ride.
I think that the people I selected to get the job done will follow through, and having all of this spelled out gives me great peace of mind. I could not even bear to think of the alternative.
Now, don't get me wrong. I don't like the whole idea of passing on but at least this makes it a little more tolerable.

When I die...I couldn't give a hoot what they do with my sorry remains (like, hey, I'll be dead) but...

there will be lots and lots of insurance money.

OK, this is all really morbid but here it goes ... I'll be counting on a few of you to ensure that my wishes are carried out _ though I'm not planning on it taking place any time soon!

I would like my organs donated to science (after all, this bod is one hellavu specimen! :p ), then have the rest of me cremated. As much as I actually enjoy walking or running through cemeteries and checking out the headstones, I consider it a waste of valuable space (though it's certainly better than buildings covering every inch of the earth ...)

I'd like my ashes spread in the West Hartford Reservoir in Connecticut _ a peaceful spot where I've enjoyed countless hours of mountain biking and hiking/walking and running and just contemplating. If there are ashes left over, then I'd love some scattered in the woods off of the AirLine trail and then some scattered around the pubs of Reykjavik, Iceland!

At a memorial service, there are two songs I want played: "Climb Every Mountain" (yes, from the Sound of Music), and Katell Keineg's "(I've Had) One Hell Of a Life."

Then, y'all better go out and hoist a few in my honor! :D :cool:

Last edited:
alpinista said:
At a memorial service, there are two songs I want played: "Climb Every Mountain" (yes, from the Sound of Music), and Katell Keineg's "(I've Had) One Hell Of a Life."
How about the Liza Minelli version of "New York, New York"? :eek: :cool:

Once I've been stripped of any organs that might still be useful, I thought I could be buried under a cairn at the start of the steep part of Huntington Ravine. I'd want just my right arm sticking out so people would shake my skeletal hand as they walked past as they often did in World War 1 and I could wish them luck from beyond the grave..... :eek:

Happy Halloween!!!!!

My wife knows where my ashes go and she has two choices 1. the spot of my first trailworking assignment in the Whites when I was 17 or 2. a spot with signifigance to our family only in the Whites that's been sacred to us for the past 200+ years. Its all in the will baby. Choice 3 is interesting. As an ex-F & I War re-enactor there is the possibility of having my ashes blown out of an 18th century mortar by a re-enactor honorary regiment. That would be cool. if my high school shop teacher is still around then (he lives in Randolph NH)I'll let him put fire in the hole.

Speaking of ashes...while we still have he ashes of several family members, each in their own small box, on the book shelf mostly because we haven't gotten around to doing anything with them.
But
When we gathered at Dolly Copp to spread the ashes of a friend, her sister arrived carrying a Trash Bag heavily laden with ashes.
When we asked what's up with that she said when she recieved the ashes from The City of Cambridge Mass she had to pick out the larger bones,
put them in a separate pile and these were the remaining ashes.

We spread the ashes (illegally) which was more like dumping a trash bag of dubious ashes into a stream to be washed away.

The remaining bones were later intered (sp) back in Cambridge.

We felt bad for her sister having to go through all this.

Didn't quite know what to say to her but it was not at all like the more romantic view of scattering ashes to the wind that we thought it would be.

Just a little heads up...because it was hard on her having to litterally sift through it and pick out her sisters bones....if indeed that's what they gave her...

David Metsky said:
How about the Liza Minelli version of "New York, New York"? :eek: :cool:

Actually, I'll take the Frank Sinatra version since ... you guessed it ... it's what's played at the end of every NY Yankees game! :D

I'd like a parade and celebration like yesterday's in Boston.

Not that I'm dead, btw, but of my life.

Dead on the 48

C'mon, guys. Why should peak bagging lust die when you do?

I expect to be cremated, and I hereby charge you all, under pain of my everlasting curse, to deposit a small portion of my ashes on the summits of each of the NH 48. Then apply for a patch, burn that, and leave it on the Rock Pile.

Speaking of mortality....

At age 51 I already have the feeling that time is running out, that I may already have done more than I will do.

Oh well, there always the internet.

John Prine

For music, I want John Prine's "Please Don't Bury Me".

Please don't bury me
Down in that cold cold ground
No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up
And pass me all around
Throw my brain in a hurricane
And the blind can have my eyes
And the deaf can take both of my ears
If they don't mind the size
Give my stomach to Milwaukee
If they run out of beer
Put my socks in a cedar box
Just get "em" out of here
Venus de Milo can have my arms
Look out! I've got your nose
Sell my heart to the junkman
And give my love to Rose

Of course, a true Red Sox fan will want to have "Sweet Caroline". So good, so good! Way to go, Sox!!