When I Die...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil said:
Speaking of mortality....

At age 51 I already have the feeling that time is running out, that I may already have done more than I will do.

Neil- Didn't anyone tell you 50 is the new 30? :) :D

Pub crawls, beer nights, marathons, peakbagging! Heck life is just starting!!! :p :)

Last edited:
Bob Kittredge - I like the posthumous peakbagging plan and the tune.

I had a recent medical scare which turned out harmless, but got me thinking about mortality and appreciating life more.

I had specific instructions if things went the other way, and my request was that I spend 15 minutes displayed in repose wearing my nose glasses. I had a tape of dirty jokes planned for this time, in an effort to achieve an after-lifetime goal of making people laugh from beyond the grave. Supressed laughter is so easy to coax out. :rolleyes:

I had a small list of tunes for my bluegrass jamming friends (yes I can be rather morbid AND micromanaging, why do you ask?) and my favorite remains this -
Flatt & Scruggs said:
Give Me Flowers While I'm Living

In this world today while we're living
some folks say the worst of us they can
But when we are dead and in our caskets
they always slip some lilies in your hand

Won't you give me my flowers while I'm living
and let me enjoy them while I can
Please don't wait till I'm ready to be buried
and then slip some lilies in my hand

In this world is where we need the flowers
a kind word to help us get along
If you can't give me flowers while I'm living
Then please don't throw 'em when I'm gone

Life is for the living, the rest will sort itself out.

Make the most of it.

You guys are right!

OK, I’d like my ashes buried deep in the forest near nothing so I can finally get some peace and quiet.

amstony said:
Neil- Didn't anyone tell you 50 is the new 30? :) :D

Pub crawls, beer nights, marathons, peakbagging! Heck life is just starting!!! :p :)

That's just something old people say to make themselves feel better.
;)

alpinista said:
Actually, I'll take the Frank Sinatra version since ... you guessed it ... it's what's played at the end of every NY Yankees game! :D
Not every game. :) They played the Liza version at the last game played there this year.

(For those who don't know, they play Frank when the Yankees win, Liza when the Yankees lose.)

Jay H said:
Tuco, from the look of your avatar, I would say you look already dead. :p
He's buried in a grave with a tombstone that reads "Arch Stanton".

You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend - those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Artex said:
That's just something old people say to make themselves feel better.
;)

Hey,we already feel better.. 'cause we know we'll be spending all the Social Security money before the young ones have a chance to collect!

Beer nights will then correspond to the day the SS check arrives! :D

David Metsky said:
He's buried in a grave with a tombstone that reads "Arch Stanton".

Dave- sorry to correct, but its the one next to arch stanton with "Unknown" on it.....good one though :)

Last edited:
big party :)

a freind of mine died in a car accident earlier this year and all the freinds had a small ceremony (he had no family left really) at a funeral home, and then close freinds gathred at a house and got rip roaring drunk that night. We all talked and recalled the good times, memories, etc..

it was perfect - no crying, no moping - recall the good times and move on.

and this was a freind that I knew since about 8 years old and still hung with at least once a month.

its not about where the ashes or body go for me - its about what works for freinds and family.

Tuco said:
Dave- sorry to correct, but its the one next to arch stanton with "Unknown" on it.....good one though :)
Yes, I'm aware (it's my second favorite movie), but I didn't want to confuse people even more. :)

-dave-

giggy said:
... - its about what works for freinds and family.

You said it. I'm already a pain in the *ss for evryone around me, asking stuff and favors all the time, it's going to be a liberation when I die.

Anyway I'm planning to die in an oscured wooded col, at 2105 ft elevation, in Maine, where nobody will ever find me. The greatest place to spend eternity.

It's probably illegal, but when I die, I'd like to be burried in my garden. My rotting body would provide nitrients to my tomatoes, peppers, etc. At least I'd be doing something useful..... And my kids would eat the vegetables, "Here, have another Papa-pepper.."

David Metsky said:
Not every game. :) They played the Liza version at the last game played there this year.

(For those who don't know, they play Frank when the Yankees win, Liza when the Yankees lose.)

Nice try, Metsky! ;)

No lonely death for me...

Just want to have
a little peace to die
and a friend or two
I love at hand
And it'll be just like
any other day
that's ever been
Sun goin up
and then the
sun it goin down