When I Die...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giggy said:
big party :)
Yeah, I've always thought the same. No crying, no lamenting... save that $$ that would've gone to stuffing me and putting everyone through a downer of an expensive wake and funeral and put it towards a party that would just get folks together and drunk.

Let my family and loved ones take a last look at me or whatever they want to do and then burn me up - I don't need a body hanging around.

Part would stay with my family to do with what they wanted, and the rest I would have spread around - don't know where yet, but I would hope that it would provide some adventure and different scenery for the accomplishers of the task. Who knows, maybe a game with clues and such eventually leading them to the edge of some precipitous cliff with a view of a deep lush green valley flanked by waterfalls... all right, already thought of one place :D

Also an organ donor (weighing options as I age though)

Ashes spread where?

That depends, my Mom is also an organ donor & long time hiker. Ceremony started years ago at a taller place & as she continues to live & sees children & grandchildren who may not tromp to NH, the location has become closer to home & lower so hikers & non-hikers in the family can remember her.

So my ashes? I'm more partial to Franconia Ridge but that may get moved to Race, Everett or Bear in the South Taconics. I'll make the family work a little harder than mom but then I've never been a nurturer or enabler.

Sherpa, some in a favorite kayaking or fishing stream would be good too, then we can borrow the Boston Duck Boats for the tour! :D

SherpaKroto said:
Katahdin, Adams, and Fenway for me, after they take the parts they need.

One of the girls on the cross country team I help coach spread her father's ashes at Fenway after he died of cancer less than two years ago. She had to be sneaky to do it, but it was a touching story. I imagine she hasn't been the only person who has done so.

What an exercise in narcissism!

Isn't the actual experience of the death of friends or (especially) family one of massive pain, both emotional and then logistical? After all I will have put this planet through before I die, am I now expected to impose on them even further in death? Shall I have them cart my ass up some remote peak? Should they have to come and find me? With all respect to one's titanic deeds in life (really, "Forest & Crag" alone are enough to put the Watermans in my book of Titans), I just can't agree with asking all this of family in death. Oh, and deal with my estate while you're at it, too, will ya?

Humbug, I guess!

Given this screed, I guess I'd argue for burial at sea or pine-box interment or whatever causes the least added fuss.

Happy Halloween, though!

Artex said:
One of the girls on the cross country team I help coach spread her father's ashes at Fenway after he died of cancer less than two years ago. She had to be sneaky to do it, but it was a touching story. I imagine she hasn't been the only person who has done so.

So it sounds like he lived long enough to at least see the Sox win in 2004!

Sapblatt said:
There is going to be a lot of Liza being played in 2008!

I've decided to convert ... and become a Dodgers fan. After all, I live in Brooklyn so I might as well go with the "hometown" team! ;)

I quote J.M Barrie, To die will be an awfully big adventure, the next great hike. I do not feel exempt in any manner to contemplate what to do with my body when the time comes.

My body shouldn't be injected with formaldehyde or laid out in an expensive mahogany casket. I shouldn't want my family to deal with expenses (this sounds like one of those life insurance commercials with the senior folk talking about this very matter). I bet that most cemeteries will be going towards green burial in the next several decades, and that's what I'll decide to do should I be returned to the earth that way.

However, I have felt the aesthetics of having my urn buried under a rock by a favorite spot to be a thought. It still is quite "gravy" if you will, and does not take up much space.

My funeral will be a celebration of life with the old hymns played and I definitely would have an Irish wake over a conventional one.

--M. said:
After all I will have put this planet through before I die, am I now expected to impose on them even further in death? Shall I have them cart my ass up some remote peak? Should they have to come and find me? With all respect to one's titanic deeds in life (really, "Forest & Crag" alone are enough to put the Watermans in my book of Titans), I just can't agree with asking all this of family in death. Oh, and deal with my estate while you're at it, too, will ya?
No not family, I'll punish my friends- they made the choice to know me. :D I made my friend do Allen for his first 46 high peak, if you can't punish friends for abuse you get and need to pay back what good are they. It's like a "hey, I got you last thing":D

Gris said:
Just want to have
a little peace to die
and a friend or two
I love at hand
And it'll be just like
any other day
that's ever been
Sun goin up
and then the
sun it goin down
Shine through my window and
my friends they come around
come around
come around

:D

Love Black Peter.

Cat's on a tin roof
Dogs in a pile
Nothing left to do
but smile, smile, smile

If I die and rot on a mountain that is fine with me but I wouldn't ask anyone to carry me up a mountain dead or alive.

If I die on a big mountain, I hope there will be no expense spared in efforts to recover my body - even if it means putting others at risk. After they get me down, I think I'd like to be cremated and have my ashes spread on the same mountain, preferably in the very spot where I perished.

When I die, I would like to be embalmed and propped up with a few moving parts in a Walmart entrance as the greeter.

This all reminds me of a quote from the great Bobby Knight. "I hope when I die, they bury me upside down, so all the critics can kiss my a$$."

Now that I have classed up this thread, I bid adieu.

This thread may finally be reaching its end..........

its serviceable life now at an end with a new hiking week ahead of us.

Its ashes spread quietly along the Whites........ :confused:

But a heck of a good thread!

Last edited: