Where would you go if you had 10 weeks??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to Europe. If you schedule everything right, you can hike the Alps in mid-July and watch the Tour de France roll through (though no Lance next year), and party your arse off with the locals for a few days. You just might want to let your hair down after 6 or 8 weeks away from home, and that would be a great place to do it. With the transit systems over there, you can see more places in the time alotted than you can in North America.

Just make sure you use the time wisely. You probably won't get that big of a chunk until you retire! :)

una_dogger said:
Hey All;
I'm graduating next May (second degree, I'm an old bird) and I am planning on taking from May 15 to Aug 15 off to do some long distance trailage before I must re-enter the working world and begin repaying my loans (and perhaps, die of old age or never again have the opportunity for such reckless abandonment, at least not for the next 25 years). . . .

I have no good advice to offer, as to specific places you might go. But . . .

Mrs. Grumpy and I were faced with the very same opportunity you have (school’s out - 10 weeks off before going back to work), back in the early 1970s, when we were in our mid-latter 20s, quite newly married and poor as church mice. Decided it was too good an opportunity to waste.

Neither of us is or was inclined to be a long distance backpacker, but we did (and do) enjoy hiking, among other outdoor activities.

We headed west to explore mountains areas in Montana and Wyoming. This largely was a car camping expedition for us. Got to see and hike in Glacier, Yellowstone and Teton National Parks, and a few places in between. Did a good lot of trout fishing and explored the area around Bozeman, Montana fairly extensively while staying several days with friends there. All told, it was a great trip that lasted six weeks.

With a month remaining that summer, we concentrated on the Adirondacks. There, we did a number of backpacking (to interior basecamps) and peakbagging trips, and some canoeing, almost continuously for three-four weeks.

That summer was (and is) a memorable and treasured time for us, and we continue to relive it in pictures and conversation. Here’s hoping that your ventures, wherever they take you, are equally happy and rewarding!

G.

Last edited:
Wow!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your ten week dreams!

Someone mentioned funds, yup, they are tight! This is an opportunity of time more than money, I have enough to cover my rent and and do USA backpacking. And I have never done more than four contiguous weeks on a trail, so this is an opportunity to stay on a trail for a long time.

Driving and seeing lots of places sounds so great but road travel is so expensive, with gas and hotels and road food, I'd zap my funds fast. Just driving to Colorado and back last year cost $700 bucks and six days in time. So I'd like to drive out somewhere, do my hike, drive back later. I'm interested in Colorado because I can visit friends while there and also take a tour of a few major hospitals/laboratories in Denver that I plan to apply to. So there is enlightened self interest and a bit of strategic career planning involved in this as well!

I have a dog, so Europe is out for now; but one of my goals in life is to head to Italy, spend a week in Florence, a week in Rome, then bike/trek all the way up to the Alps. That's gonna happen in ten years.

I'm not going to miss the money at the end of my life, but I am sure going to remember these ten weeks!

All of the trip ideas are fantastic! Splitting the time between Colorado and California is also a super great idea!

Last edited:
I spent some time in Germany and loved it. My time there was while I was in the Army and though I saw much of the woods I never actually went on a recreational hike. To this day I regret not hiking the Bavarian Alps. So, to answer your question, that'd be my choice of where to spend my 10 weeks.
:)

dogger,

Consider a variety of locals rather than just one. The Pacific Crest Trail or the like would certainly be awesome. But then you only get one type of mountain range. Experience as many ranges as you can, to the fullest degree possible. Glacier NP is very different from the N. Cascades, which is very different from CO, Utah, CA, etc. In my opinion, experiencing all of those different environments makes you a much more skilled hiker, you get a wider variety of experiences. Plus, you could then answer practically any question that any of us VFTTers had about a mountain range! But spend enough time in each place to really get a feel for what it's all about.

It is VERY easy to find places to camp on the road. You will never need to get a hotel room or eat out.

This type of plan requires a bit more logistics planning, but that is half the fun. Finally, Alaska is indescribable. Painful, beautiful, wild. Also, VERY EXPENSIVE.

You probably already have more ideas than you know what to do with now but I would have to agree with going west. Get a nice variety of areas in and don't neglect Utah. The hiking in the Wasatch is amazing and you can head south from there and spend some time in Zion. My wife and I last summer drove to Utah, hiked in the Wasatch, then in Zion. Then we left Zion and hiked in the Grand Canyon then headed up to Colorado and finally to the Badlands in South Dakota before heading home. I agree that Europe would be nice but you may get sidetracked alot and not get much hiking in. I went with the intention of hiking and never made it out of the pubs and raves. No matter what you choose you'll have a blast. cc

una_dogger said:
Thanks to everyone for sharing your ten week dreams!

Someone mentioned funds, yup, they are tight! This is an opportunity of time more than money, I have enough to cover my rent and and do USA backpacking. And I have never done more than four contiguous weeks on a trail, so this is an opportunity to stay on a trail for a long time.

Driving and seeing lots of places sounds so great but road travel is so expensive, with gas and hotels and road food, I'd zap my funds fast. Just driving to Colorado and back last year cost $700 bucks and six days in time. So I'd like to drive out somewhere, do my hike, drive back later. I'm interested in Colorado because I can visit friends while there and also take a tour of a few major hospitals/laboratories in Denver that I plan to apply to. So there is enlightened self interest and a bit of strategic career planning involved in this as well!

I have a dog, so Europe is out for now; but one of my goals in life is to head to Italy, spend a week in Florence, a week in Rome, then bike/trek all the way up to the Alps. That's gonna happen in ten years.

I'm not going to miss the money at the end of my life, but I am sure going to remember these ten weeks!

All of the trip ideas are fantastic! Splitting the time between Colorado and California is also a super great idea!

Una Dogger,
I am very familair with Colorado and can probably help you visit a lot of places with out spending a lot of money. I will be In the Aspen Area in June of 2006 . I am not sure if i will be hiking for a bit this year as I really injured my knee badly . I might have ot have surgey if it does not stoop hurting in a few weeks .
But if you are looking for some Info send me a PM I can send a email with a whole lot .
One thing that you will like is that ther are many off road places to camp and some are near or even at trailheads.
I do not know what your eduction is but If you are looking ofr a job in the mountains . theHsopitals in Vail , Glenwood SPrings ansd Aspen are growing and are alwayas looking for new people it seems they add a department every few months.
I can say Aspen Valley Hosptial is frist rate

Co...

Go to Hanging Lake near Glenwood Springs. It's a little busy, but it has to be one of the most memorable spots I've ever been. There is also some nice white water rafting and other nice hiking, backpacking in the area.

If you check that area out don't bother paying to go in the public hot springs be sure to walk along the rail road tracks toward the tunnel in Glenwood Springs. Just before the tunnel there is a small outcropping of rocks in the CO River that collect hot springs water (mixed with cold CO River water to make it safe to bath in). It's really a great experience.

Utah has some really beautiful mountains. It's a must see as well.

Maybe explore Alaska some too.

Of course there is several of the obvious spots - Grand Canyon, ect.

Have fun, I'm very jelous!

RGF1 said:
Una Dogger,
is but If you are looking ofr a job in the mountains . theHsopitals in Vail , Glenwood SPrings ansd Aspen are growing and are alwayas looking for new people it seems they add a department every few months.
I can say Aspen Valley Hosptial is frist rate

Thanks! Yup, one of my reasons for the career change to Clinical Lab Sci from Env Sci was jobs jobs jobs in places I want to live!

I may spend this time saying goodbye to some of my favorite trails in the NE before doing a job search in Colorado or the Pacific NW.

New Zealand.

We spent 3 weeks and easily could have made it 6. Then there's the north island. We visited when the exchange rate was good and it was dirt cheap. Of course the flight is expensive, but there are lots of low cost options.

I think the Scottish Highlands would be pretty neat, if you can handle the rain. In the northeast, you could spend about half that time doing some week long loops of different sections in Baxter State Park. I am hoping to do that after retirement in 11-14 years.

I stumbled upon THIS website today.

THIS LINK WILL TAKE YOU TO THE MAIN PAGE.

The website says they have tours anywhere from Antarctica (there ya go Dr. Wu :D ) to Katmandu and anywhere in between.

And they seem to offer adventures in every price range from budget to luxury.
Only caveat is that it appears you have to register (free) to see any details.

Whatever you decide, have fun, and best of luck and health to ya!

una_dogger said:

If you go to Italy, you can see Rome in a day. I did. Bicycled across the country in 2002. Hike the Dolomites and/or the Apinines. Italy is beautiful and the little villages on the tops of the hills have great food!

When I had 10 weeks in 1981 before joining the work force, I bicycled across the USA. It was an adventure I will never forget! And I remember the Bitterroot range (Montana or Idaho?) being really beautiful. I'd like to hike those mountains!

Most of all, have fun! And take pictures!
Roxi

Many great ideas but Im a continental dude, it would be the Sierra's and the CO rockies for me. Ever see Jeramiah johnson, thats me a true mountain man.

Splitting time between CO and CA sounds like a good idea. For CA, I'd take a few weeks to do the John Muir Trail. Spend some time in the Sierras, Yosemite, King Canyon/Sequoia. Then I'd treck across NV, speed through Vegas and head into S. Utah. Spend about 10 days car camping and day hiking in Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonland, and Arches NP. Maybe spend a couple of days in Moab for some rafting or mountain biking the slickrock.

You could then head into CO for the second half of your trip... Durango for the CO trail, or whatever...

I'm envious...