Where would you go if you had 10 weeks??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you getting there?

I've been told (by someone from VFTT's ancient days when rec.climbing was here,) that some of the cities in South America are cheaper to get to than some places out West. They may not be in the country you want to travel too but the land travel from where you land to the peaks are not too far & cheap to get to.

With your choices: I'd go west but I'd look at part of the PCT over CO & then take on a few of the Cascades also.

My fantasy hiking trips, without $$$ Restrictions or family issues:
Since I have little altitude experience:

Weeks 1-3 West many states would be fine, see how I do on 10K peaks first. (I have 1 day hike there & seemed to be okay) after two or three 10K peaks do a 11 or 12, maybe camp at 9K which should be fine, if CA, do 13,053 Mt. Dana if okay look at doing Boundary * Montgomery (okay NV border) then White Mt. & then Whitney

Weeks 3-6 proving I was okay Europe, if okay on all, no issues other than glacier travel (that is a big issue but many 9+ peaks where routes exist without that hazard ) I'd do a circle around & through Switzerland, hitting Italy, Germany (again for both) and add Austria & Switzerland to my country's list of hikes

Weeks 7-10 Again assuming I've had no serious altitude issues; South America, someplace I'd never be able to drag the family unless they had the bug as bad as I do. (We have been to TN & the Northeast & I can get them to AZ & CA to see family & Friends) goal would be to acclimate & try & get as high as possible.

The first two sections would be pretty easy to stretch to 10 weeks & experience more than just hiking or 10 weeks of mostly hiking. While possible in SA, the polictial & economic conditions require more care to keep safe from non-hiking hazards.

Rant Over....