Balancing careers and the outdoors.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artex said:
I really admire those that have families and are still able to hike regularly, or for that matter run, bike, ski, whatever, and not just on a casual basis. It's a balancing act and requires a lot of coordination, but it's possible even for the hardest of the hardcore (I know a few). Those guys and gals have my respect.

I'll gladly accept your respect, Artex, but I must say it's really not that hard. If anything, I get outdoors much more now than before I had kids. They are my motivators. Kids need not prevent you from hiking, biking, skiing, or whatever. You simply do it *with* the kids. Granted, I'm not the "hardest of the hardcore", and I agree it might be near impossible to take a month-long canoe trip or thru-hike the AT, but for weekend activities it works just fine. When my kids were babies and toddlers I carried them on my back in a child carrier. By the time they were 4 they were hiking with me, cross-country skiing, and even backcountry camping. It requires more planning, shorter and easier routes, and some learning through experience, but it's well worth the effort, for both the kids and parents. This does not go on that long anyway. By the time they are teenagers they will probably be able to outhike me. I look forward to them carrying some of my gear, instead of the other way around! And once a year my wife allows me a trip back east to climb in the Adirondacks without the kids, so the balance is good.

See pictures of my kids in action at my blog.
http://www.paul46r.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
another thing I'd really like is to work at night. I sit at a desk all day long, designing buildings, which would be just as easy to do at night. Instead of 12-6 sleep, 8-5 work, 6-12 leisure; I'd love to roll into the office at 4 pm after a half day on the trail, work till midnight and go right to bed.

This is especially true in winter.