digital camera

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Looking at digital cameras. My wife wants something simple to use, so a point-&-shoot is in the cards.

Any advise appreciated.

Any number of cameras will fit that description. What size are you looking for? How much zoom? What is your price range? Do you want HD video?

As Dave says. Price range will determine a lot. Don't be sucked in by bigger megapixels. Other features, that I don't know how to compare (like lense quality and noise reduction algorithms :confused:) affect picture quality more.

CNET reviews are a pretty good place to get an idea of what's out there.

Based on my ownership experiences: Avoid the Olympus FE series like the plague but do consider the Olympus Camedia series. I currently use my old Olympus Camedia (4 megapixels I think) and a newer Canon SD870 (8 megapixels).

I picked up a waterproof Fuji Finepix - which has decent specs and is waterproof (great for backpacking in wet weather) and discovered once on the trail that there was something I hadn't considered: there was a nice display/view screen on the back of the camera which was great in the store, but outdoors the light reflecting off the screen made it almost impossible to see the picture I was getting without putting an extra shirt or something over my head to block the light. The pictures are all fine, but I had little control over the framing alignment.

I picked up a waterproof Fuji Finepix - which has decent specs and is waterproof (great for backpacking in wet weather) and discovered once on the trail that there was something I hadn't considered: there was a nice display/view screen on the back of the camera which was great in the store, but outdoors the light reflecting off the screen made it almost impossible to see the picture I was getting without putting an extra shirt or something over my head to block the light. The pictures are all fine, but I had little control over the framing alignment.
As you have observed, screens can be very hard to see in bright outdoor light. Because of this, many prefer cameras that also have viewfinders which are unfortunately becoming scarce on P&S cameras.

rup: If you haven't already, you might join the photography group--it will enable you to see the "Exposure - Nature Photography" forum which contains a number of threads on cameras.

Doug

Last edited:
Canon's making great cameras these days; good features, good prices, good quality, stuff comes out fairly well on full automatic mode. My girlfriend and my hiking buddy both use Powershot 1100's (HB used to use an earlier model--800?--and upgraded.) My father uses one of the A series since it's easier for him to hold.

Agree with (and cheerfully defer to experts such as Dave) all that has been said... as a once-upon-a-time-more-serious photographer, only thing I would add is: consider and balance issues such as form-factor carefully. There are a lot of directions you can go, but you can't have it all. There are some excellent compromises out there, though.

When we replaced an aging and clunky Nikon Coolpix 3500 point-and-shoot for my wife (similarly a good amateur photographer), we considered several of the very small and very handy point-and-shoots, but ended up going with a Panasonic Lumix DMC series based on its much-greater optical zoom range and high quality Zeiss lens. She gave up ultra-compact form factor but got back a much more flexible camera for the way she shoots (lots of family stuff, kid activities, outdoor activities). The bonus is a very large and bright LCD screen that makes us miss a real rangefinder much less. The quality of the images is outstanding.

This isn't necessarily a recommendation of the Lumix DMC (though I would buy it again based on same variables), but rather a encouragement to carefully consider what matters most to you (size/weight/form factor, screen/rangefinder, zoom features, ease of managing files, etc.). Make a checklist of what matters, then do some research to see what really is the best compromise for your use.

BTW, strongly agree with Chip, CNet reviews are a good place to start.

... but ended up going with a Panasonic Lumix DMC series based on its much-greater optical zoom range and high quality Zeiss lens.
Which model? I ask because I ended up with the DMC-FZ28 (now replaced by the FZ35) which has two features I felt I needed: a powerful (×18) zoom and a viewfinder. I had originally been planning to use it in point and shoot mode, but have started reading about the many control options (David Pogue's Digital Photography: The Missing Manual) and am actually using some already!

Canon's making great cameras these days; good features, good prices, good quality, stuff comes out fairly well on full automatic mode.

I like Canon but their new P&S cameras don't have an optical viewfinder or full manual controls. It's very hard to get a good sunset shot without full manual.

Doug Paul, you got the Canon A590 IS cheap as per that thread. Are you still liking it ? Sounds like a great 2nd or 3rd camera.
Yep--I'm still happy with it. It was a replacement for a dead A75. I use it mostly as a carry-around-town camera. (I've got a Canon SD800 for hiking--it is small and light and the lens goes down to 28mm eFL and I have a DSLR in case I want to pull out a bigger gun.) All of my cameras have viewfinders--I wouldn't consider one without.

8MP is basically enough for a P&S due to the very small sensor sizes--more pixels don't really gain you much (and result in more noise and less dynamic range). The Canon A1000 IS or A1100 IS might be good alternatives if one cannot get an A590 IS.

Also, in general, larger zoom range lenses have poorer optical quality.

I'm kind of partial to the Imaging Resource reviews: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A590IS/A590ISA.HTM.

Doug

I like Canon but their new P&S cameras don't have an optical viewfinder or full manual controls. It's very hard to get a good sunset shot without full manual.
Optical viewfinders are getting scarcer, but you can still get them from Canon in their G*, SD*, and A* lines: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

The G* and A* lines have manual settings. Reviews at http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews.

The A* line takes AA batteries, everything else is proprietary Lion.

Doug

Last edited:
The newest Canon A series cameras, A1000, A1100, A2000, and A2100 do NOT have the full manual option.

The newest Canon A series cameras, A1000, A1100, A2000, and A2100 do NOT have the full manual option.
OK, I thought they did, but I didn't check. Bummer.

FWIW, while my A75 and A590IS have manual options, I rarely use them. My SD800 is auto only and it has been ok so far.

P&Ses only have a very narrow range of lens apertures (3 stops on my A75, IIRC) because the lens has to stay fairly wide open to minimize diffraction blurring. This, in turn, limits one to using a narrow range of shutter speeds for a given lighting condition. (Use the exposure compensation if you want to alter the exposure.)

The manual focus on my A75 was virtually useless--you had to measure the distance and set it on a menu. It is better on the A590, but I don't remember the details off-hand. In any case, I set all my cameras to center-only focus, aim the center at the focus point and half press the button to auto-focus, and re-aim (if necessary) to frame the shot before the final press.

Some of the pros seem to like the G10 as a surprisingly good carry in your jacket pocket camera. A bit pricy for a P&S, though...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/pocket-battleships.shtml
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Doug

And only the A1000 and A1100 have an optical viewfinder. The A1000 and A2000 are discontinued by now. The SD1200 and SD780 still have OVF as well but not the rest of the current SD-series. Even Canon appears to be dropping optical view finders from their smaller cameras. The larger zooms all have electronic view finders, mainly because of the size.

The A590 and A720 were the last of a breed; inexpensive, full featured, high quality cameras. *sigh*

I have a Canon SD1000 which I like alot except that it doesn't have image stablization. I just got the replacement to the A590, the A1100, which does. It also uses AA batteries. So far, I like it alot.

Am not going to ditch the SD1000 though.

Boys and Girls IF you want THE best all around backcountry camera, get your self an Olympus Stylus 1040 SW.

In demos they drive a Hummer over it. You can drop this puppy onto rocks AND with take Movies and pics down to 33' underwater (which also means you can take on canoe trips, shoot in the rain...)

12mp

I recently purchased a new megazoom, Nikon P90, for the bigger lens and more options that SLR's offer. Very happy with it.

I was intending originally to get a point n shoot like a Canon. But my rule looking for these is it better have a viewfinder, and I prefer a digital one, not a window above the lens. With difficulty finding the like, I looked at megazooms.
DaveG.