Do we want more snow?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want more snow in the mountains this winter?

• Yes, bring it on!

Votes: 106 69.3%
  • No, isn't it time for spring?

Votes: 47 30.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guess what another 6-12 inches Friday night and Saturday :D yee haw. Thanks skimom :cool: Keep doing your snow dance. :rolleyes: Can't wait until September when forestgnome posts his snow and ice pictures! :eek:

Last edited:
Yeap, another storm hitting only 1 day after the snow stops, I think 4-8 in western areas of NH and 6-12 for eastern areas. Once again, areas like Tamworth and North Conway will likely get hammered. A clipper will be racing out of Canada then redeveloping a coastal low that rides into Maine. This will be a quick shot starting Friday about 6 pm through Saturday morning or early afternoon. Winter is incredible this year..An yes, more snow is good. Its really hard on Deer and Moose, but great for recreation. Looks like another big mess next week, with a lot of sleet and freezing rain. -Mattl

Mattl said:
Once again, areas like Tamworth and North Conway will likely get hammered.
Enough already! Our snowbanks are already too high!

NHPR reported that Concord is at 99.6 inches, 50.4 inches above average. The all-time record, in 1823 I think, is 122 inches. So we're withing 2 feet of breaking the all-time record.

Tim

Hey, I've skied every weekend since mid-Dec, and I'll try to keep it up until May. Keep on snowing! (Just not on Friday afternoons while driving north)

rocket21 said:
Enough already! Our snowbanks are already too high!
Agreed Rocket! And I believe that your area has gotten even more than we have here in Bethlehem. It seems like schools in the middle of the state have had more snow days this year than those in the great north woods. The payloaders here are wondering where to put the white stuff if we get anymore. It's already hard enough to see around the snowbanks at intersections. Maybe the folks further south should send up their payloaders and dumptrunks, and take as much snow back with them as they can. We have more than enough to share!

Winter is supposed to be 3 months long. Up here it lasts 6. This year, it could be longer....

Conway just set a 34 year February and overall winter records in terms of snowfall.

Roxi said:
Winter is supposed to be 3 months long. Up here it lasts 6. This year, it could be longer....

In 1988, when I graduated from college and moved to NH to make my fortune I was informed by the locals that NH has four seasons like much of North America. Unlike much of North America, NH seasons are:

almost winter, winter, still winter and construction

;)

Tim

p.s. I cannot see when pulling out of my driveway now either, and have over 2 feet of snow in the middle of my backyard in Bedford.

p.p.s. There is less than half that much 15 miles south in Nashua.

Mike P. said:
We are lookin at depths similar to late 97.

1997 was when Mt. Washington had 90-something inches of snowfall in May! There were several feet of snow on the Twinway well into June, and many of the staffed AMC shelters had a hard time shoveling out when they tried to open. I remembering sinking chest-deep in snow on Moosilauke (June 11, I believe) when it was 90+ degrees in the valleys. Who thinks of snowshoes when it's 90 out? :)

bikehikeskifish said:
In 1988, when I graduated from college and moved to NH to make my fortune I was informed by the locals that NH has four seasons like much of North America. Unlike much of North America, NH seasons are:

almost winter, winter, still winter and construction

I always thought there were five seasons:
early winter, mid winter, late winter, next winter and mud season :)

"In the mountains, there are only two seasons. One of them is called winter. The other is just like winter, but with bits of green to fool the unwary."

(I think that's by David Brin, not sure.)

New England mountains aren't really tall enough for that to apply: we have black fly season and mud season too.

I broke down and bought my first gas-powered, 2-stroke snowthrower. My back just cannot take it anymore since I work for a living. So, now I can handle the driveway and rear deck. Sure, it guzzles fossil feul, but so do all the plows. I think they get about 1 mpg and run all the time, while dumping salt that ends up in the water. Lily Pond on the Kancamagus once had trout but is now too salty. Then we have all the huge trucks and SUV's hauling snowmachines for hundreds of miles. They might get about 5 mpg. Don't forget the wonderful blue smoke the machines belch into the forest air. I wonder if the ski mountains have converted to soybean feul for the lifts, groomers, snowmaking, electricity, etc. I know feul consumption has increased at my home, as well as all the vacant second homes and condos.

However, the roof still needs to be cleared so my home doesn't suffer the samer fate as those of many who were not capable and lost their homes. So, I have a free offer for snow lovers. You can come shovel my roof!!!! Yippeeee! In fact, you could come tonight because it will be below zero!!! Yes!!!!!

Just funnin' around. ;) Please understand that although a large % of VFTTers may want more snow, the vast majority of locals are on the brink. It's very hard on many people.

forestgnome said:
Just funnin' around. ;) Please understand that although a large % of VFTTers may want more snow, the vast majority of locals are on the brink. It's very hard on many people.
I'm going to guess that a good snow season does more to help the economy up north then hurt it. The lack of snowmobiling the last two years really hurt the northcountry.

David Metsky said:
I'm going to guess that a good snow season does more to help the economy up north then hurt it. The lack of snowmobiling the last two years really hurt the northcountry.

Now that President's week is past, the snow will have a much lesser effect on the economy up here.

more snow...oh no!!!!

Forestgnome....Rocket 21..

I am with you guys...enough already..

maybe if we all say "Uncle" at once it will stop snowing for awhile..

the piles are too high..the roadways too narrow..

anyone been on 109 or 113 in Sandwich lately...now that's a fun ride...

that being said...has the skiing been any better?? last April was good..this is awesome..the hiking trails..we have all broken out trails this year but what is sweeter than a packed trail through snow laden trees....

I love and live winter.and this has been an awesome one..but it would not hurt my feelings any to eliminate all new snow below 1000 feet..we grow weary with the daily shoveling...

Snowshoeing with black flies can be fun...been there done that...and pretty certain to happen this year I would think....

Dave M. and Rocket21 both make good popints. The ski and snowmobile industries have had a banner year, and stream down economics are definately in play. But there does come a point when it's done and more snow does not mean more tourism.

This is all good conversation for a snowed-in gnome with serious cabin fever. I take what nature brings. Winters like this aren't really "bad". They are as natural as a mild or moderate winter. I just have serious spring fever. I just want to hike and camp on the ground and see animals and plants. I've had plenty of snowboarding and snowshoeing. My least favorite situation is warm weather snowshoeing, when 10 lbs. of snow sticks to the bottom of your snowshoe :eek: Many trails will have snow in June. But, it's nature. Those conditions each of us consider perfect are greatly enhanced by enduring other conditions. I will appreciate every step on duff and rock this summer.

happy trails :)