Do we want more snow?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want more snow in the mountains this winter?

• Yes, bring it on!

Votes: 106 69.3%
  • No, isn't it time for spring?

Votes: 47 30.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
forestgnome said:
I just have serious spring fever.
There are several of us who are currently afflicted with this. Instead of riding the bike trainer in my office, I'd like to cycle outside where the ever-changing view is much better. I'm tired of cold. It's minus 28 here this morning. I want to feel the sun's warmth on my bare shoulders. As Rocket and Silverfox said, "Enough already." It's not just the snow and cold; it's knowing that spring doesn't arrive in March up here. If we're lucky, it may arrive in May. There's a reason why the groundhog who looks for his shadow in February lives in PA. The groundhogs up here laugh at the idea of winter lasting only 6 more weeks from then.

Lily Pond is a very sad story..60 years ago or so, the pond was much larger and deeper and supported a great wild trout fishery along with some stocking. Fisherman who made the trip said it was wonderful fishing, then the road was improved or paved(?) and they let the dam out and the trout virtually dissapeared. You can see that still with all the exposed rocks. I love when nature gets destroyed. By the way, what little trout were left are def suffering from the salt.-Mattl

Well, the snowthrower is worth its' salt. I was able to clear the driveway in ten minutes. That used to take 1.5 hours. Not too bad on gas. Loud.

My back has been suffering since the snow started this winter. Shoveling the decks, driveway, and roof countless times took its' toll. So, I got the machine. Now, my back is seriously out because I tweeked it while hauling the machine up the stairs to do the back deck. Work was really tough today. Samuel Adams Black Lager is helping ;)

March toward spring! In like a lion apparently. :mad: Hope she goes out like a lamb. :)

We can't take anymore snow - perhaps the weathermen can do an edit - undo on this foot of snow coming. Another roof collapsed down the street - too much snow!

Snow...oh no!!!

Oh my..the last foot of snow just hoisted onto 8 foot bankings...another foot on the way..did I hear a rumor of big nor'easter tuesday..I am afraid to check the noaa page..in ignorance there is bliss.....

Silverfox said:
Oh my..the last foot of snow just hoisted onto 8 foot bankings...another foot on the way..did I hear a rumor of big nor'easter tuesday..I am afraid to check the noaa page..in ignorance there is bliss.....

The upside is that if you get picked up for speeding, you may have a way out of the ticket! Some of the speed limit signs up here are either submerged or knocked over!

more snow...oh no!!!!

Good point Rocket on the burying of the signs..there are many of them up this way barely poking though the bankings.....the other side of that coin..have you tried driving faster than posted speeds on any of the back roads...wow..narrow ..blind ..frost heave cratered....People poking their car noses out of invisible driveways makes for some pretty defensive driving...

Silverfox said:
.....the other side of that coin..have you tried driving faster than posted speeds on any of the backroads...wow..narrow ..blind ..frost heave cratered....People poking their car noses out of invisible driveways makes for some pretty defensive driving...

This captures nicely the drive I just completed from Farmington, ME to Rangeley, ME to Freedom, NH. I also saw touches of many buried signs, and for good measure, a close encounter with a pair of moose on Rt. 16 between Rangeley and Winslow Mill. Hard for the Highway Patrol to find lairs to lie low, but I generally had to stay well under posted speeds just for safety's sake.

Silverfox said:
frost heave cratered

That certain describes 25A between Center Harbor and Holderness! There's one frost heave in particular that has sent me flying, even circa 35 MPH!

More snow for sure. If you think this is bad wait until next weekend. Right now the models are showing monster storm devloping off the east coast of florida and tracking up the coast. If that holds true, it would be a crippling Blizzard from Atlanta to Newfoundland. High winds and several feet of snow. Bring it on.

Id rather receive a sharp stick in the eye. Give me a pair of shorts on a sunny day to run a ridge, fast and light.

snowbird22 said:
More snow for sure. If you think this is bad wait until next weekend. Right now the models are showing monster storm devloping off the east coast of florida and tracking up the coast. If that holds true, it would be a crippling Blizzard from Atlanta to Newfoundland. High winds and several feet of snow. Bring it on.

Ok UNCLE !!! I said it. I love snow and I love the money it brings but I and my truck and plow for that matter can't take it any more. I am so busy preparing to plow, plowing and recovering from plowing that I don't get to go out and enjoy the snow. I can only imagine how miserable it must be going anywhere up north

Lou
Edit: your weather source must disagree with my weather source this is cut and pasted from my local NWS forcast discussion
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY...
MODELS HAVE SOME TIMING DIFFERENCES BUT THE WEATHER SHOULD GRADUALLY
TURN COLDER. THE GFS SHOWS AN ARCTIC SURGE BUT ITS ENSEMBLES/ECMWF
WERE NOT AS EXTREME SO STUCK CLOSE TO MEX GUIDANCE FOR NOW. DOES
NOT LOOK LIKE ANY BIG STORMS OVER THIS PERIOD...BUT KEPT 20 TO 30
POPS GOING AS A COUPLE OF SHORTWAVES MAY BRING A PERIOD OR TWO OF
RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS.-- End Changed Discussion --

Last edited:
Lou Hale said:
Ok UNCLE !!!

Thank you! We have so much snow up here that roof shoveling is the fastest growing industry in this area! By the sounds of it, it's a lot more lucrative than my job...and you get summers off, too! :)

I drove through a snowstorm on wednesday from Vermont to Maine. I skiied friday in -5 to 5 degree weather, and then in a foot of fresh snow on saturday. My poor Mazda got stuck in foot deep snow this morning on the driveway, but a few pushes later and it was on its way around the 8-10 foot snow bankings. I love winter, this is phenomenal! I saw a deer in the road on route 27 near Coburn Gore on my way home. He gave me a look of, "Where am i supposed to go? the snow is just too damn deep, i am not going back into the woods!"

I hope it keeps on snowing. I love winter, I also love summer, i just hate spring. This will be the year of skiing in the morning and laying on the beach in the afternoon.

Normally I would have voted yes. Hiking in deep snow in the early-mid spring is a blast. I just returned from a week of desert hiking in warm temps, however, and definitely have spring fever...

Bring on the spring!

Marty

Uggh, the snow is getting so deep up on the ridges they are close to impassable. At 6'4" I was having a HORRID time heading over to Osceola from East Osceola today. At some points I was down to my hands and knees crawling under branches (not blowdowns mind you.....the normal spruce that you normaly would be looking UP at during summe!)

Enough snow already!!!!!

Brian

If I got even $10 per hour for shoveling and snowblowing my roof, decks and driveway, I'd take my wife on a hiking trip to Utah. Snow removal has been like a second job this year.

On a brighter note, maybe this year I'll take my snowboard up Mt. Washington for the ride down the snowfields, bowl, and ski trail down to Pinkham Notch. I've only done that once, back in the last huge snow year of 2002(?), in early May.

happy trails :)

MORE SNOW!
dave01.jpg