Hiking with a big winter sleeping bag?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
I really did try searching, maybe used wrong words....

I'm using an internal backpack...think it's app 4500 ci..there is a small compartment to stuff a sleeping bag in but no way will my winter bag go in that....

Do you use a compression sack and put it in the main compartment?

I remember once unrolling my pad inside my pack and stuffing the inside with my sleeping bag and putting all of my clothes on top....

I know, just see what works for me...just curious...are external packs better on winter hikes for hanging bags on the back...on trails of course...thx

coldfeet said:
I'm using an internal backpack...think it's app 4500 ci..there is a small compartment to stuff a sleeping bag in but no way will my winter bag go in that....
My first large pack was compartmented. After having such problems, I switched to undivided packs.

Doug

I just sold a 4000 ci (expandable to 4800) pack. It was a great pack, really well made, but it was too big and heavy for a decent day pack and too small (for me) for a good over-nighter. I carry a tent also, but I like a bigger pack. There's nothing wrong with a good old external frame pack, either.

The purpose of a compartment is to allow the bag to be on the bottom without getting crushed by the rest of your gear, so you can keep the heavier gear higher. If I HAD to stuff my good winter bag in the bottom of the pack I just sold, I could, but that'd crush the loft also. I don't use compression sacks for that reason.

Last edited:
I put my winter down bag into a compression sack and get it as small as I can and then put it in the bottom of my pack. I try to pull the bag out soon after we set up camp to let the bag have some time to loft. I don't store my down bags compressed when not in use. I have a 5000 cu. in. internal frame pack that I use for all season backpacking. I try to have as little hanging from the outside of my pack as possible. Usually I manage to get everything into the pack.

Thx for input...i'll experiment tomorrow....thinking of putting clothing and other gear in the bottom compartment with the sleeping bag up on top....it's a weird trip....going with the scouts...would usually put the gear in a duffle bag and pull it with a sled but there's no snow as of now....i pulled a sled last year on a gravel road and you can imagine how that was :eek:

I just came back from EMS, saw a huge internal pack...think it was app 7000 ci..Gregory?...but it was also 8lbs!....again thx for response...have a nice weekend!

una_dogger said:
I use an external frame, and stuff my winter bag in a plastic bag and then a stuff sack and strap it onto the bottom of my pack.
Sabrina

I tried this with my pack and it didn't work out too well -- very annoying with the weight shifting as I walked (but maybe that's just me [and we'll leave it at that! :) ]). Plus, you have to be more careful where you set your pack down so that the bag doesn't get wet, puncture, etc. Oh, and let's not forget that you have to add in that your pack cover has to accomodate the extra length (as I once didn't! Duh. BAD move on my part :eek: )

Putting the bag on the top, under the top compartment straps protects it a bit more, but created a bouncing effect if the pack wasn't strapped just so.

Dave, I'm assuming you meant that you'd be packing the sleeping bag in the main compartment, not literally on the top of your pack. Good choice, I'd say. Hope you have fun with the boys!!!!

coldfeet said:
I just came back from EMS, saw a huge internal pack...think it was app 7000 ci..Gregory?...but it was also 8lbs!....again thx for response...have a nice weekend!
7000 cu in is pretty big...

About 1 lb per 1000 cu in isn't too bad. I have 4lb 4000 cu in and 5lb 5000 cu in internal frame packs. (30 and 25 yrs old respectively.) The weight of many modern packs is way above the 1lb/1000 cu in figure. (Too many gimmicks?)

Doug

If you are carrying 7000 CI of stuff, you probably need a pretty sturdy pack to keep the load stable. I have a big Gregory that weights around 7lbs. I wish it were lighter, but it carries big loads easily and is extremely comfortable on my back with a lot of gear.

Look for a lengthywise compression stuff sack, they can bring the size down quite a bit.

-dave-

The short answer is your pack's too small for winter camping. I used to use a Kelty Tioga external frame pack and would strap my tent and foam pad to the frame underneath the pack. My sleeping bag would go on top of the main compartment, and the top fabric flap would hold it in place just fine. When I upgraded to a modern internal frame pack (with a much better suspension system), I bought a 90 liter pack (approx. 5400 cu. in.) and I still can't fit the tent inside. My new pack has a sleeping bag compartment that's just the right volume for my sleeping bag, but I found that it's easier (especially wearing mittens) to stuff the bag into a large diameter compression stuff sack, tighten the straps a little and then it fits easily into the sleeping bag compartment.

My pack, made by Osprey, has a zip out divider between the main compartment and the lower sleeping bag compartment. I found that the divider caused more trouble than it was worth. In the summer, the lower compartment was too big for my summer bag and in the winter it was too small. Since I've removed it, my pack loads a lot better. I typically stuff my tent and fly in the pack without a stuff sack. So now it can stuff down into all the small spaces around the sleeping bag stuff sack. If you are having trouble with the divider, and it doesn't zip out, you might want to think about getting out the scissors.

I have 10 or 11 packs, of all shapes and sizes, that I use for various things, but mostly I only use 4 or 5.

In the summer I use the external frame packs, as the experiments I did showed they carried much better than the internals, in addition to being a lot cooler. But, I do not use one in the winter as it's too hard to move in and around all the blowdowns due to its shifting around. On a regular trail it's awesome, but that's where it ends.

In the winter I always use an internal, and I have them from 1,500 ci to 9,000 ci (yes, it's a monster), but regularly use the 2,700 ci for day hikes and ice climbing, the 4,650 ci for overnights, and the 7,000 ci for longer trips. DougPaul is right on the money in that they weigh approximately 1 lb per 1,000 ci, except for the monster, which only weighs 6.5 pounds.

In every pack I am able to put the sleeping bag in the lower compartment using a compression sack. The medium CS will hold my 15° Down bag, the bivy, and the down coat, all at once. The large CS will fit the 0° synthetic easily, and the X-large CS will fit the 0°, bivy, sleeping clothes, and down jacket, but it'll only fit in the larger packs.

If you don't have one, I do recommend picking up a compression sack, they make short work on stuffing a sleeping bag and I've never had a problem regaining the loft when I drag it out. Oh, and they're typically waterproof as well.

Last edited:
closed cell pack liner

After dealing with trying to find my stuff in my pack which, when not full tends, to collapse, I found a solution to the problem.
Cut 1/4 inch closed cell foam in a cylindrical (or barrel)shape the same size as the inside circumference of your pack and as high as the bottom of the top collar.
Slip it into your pack as a liner.
Cut an oval piece as a cap or lid for the top and bottom of the "cylinder"
Now you have an emergency bivy pad, a seat (the oval cap), and a slightly insulated pack with a multiuse closed cell with a scant 3 or 4 oz addition.
The pack will stand up on its own and you can access your stuff easily thru the top. . Weve (The BMT's) have been doing this for years now and its surprising the pack companies dont sell packs with these inserts!
I remove the frame from my pack as its really not needed anymore so the pack is actually lighter. AND more servicible.

Oh yes,
As far as the bag is concerned. Just before you leave compress the hell out of it in a compression sack (Pretend your trying to sqeeze the truth out of an al Queda member) It'll fit in the bottom of your closed cell lined pack.
Only compress for the trip and immediately fluff it after you get home.

pks4000 said:
After dealing with trying to find my stuff in my pack which, when not full tends, to collapse, I found a solution to the problem.
Cut 1/4 inch closed cell foam in a cylindrical (or barrel)shape the same size as the inside circumference of your pack and as high as the bottom of the top collar.
Slip it into your pack as a liner.
Cut an oval piece as a cap or lid for the top and bottom of the "cylinder"
Now you have an emergency bivy pad, a seat (the oval cap), and a slightly insulated pack with a multiuse closed cell with a scant 3 or 4 oz addition.
The pack will stand up on its own and you can access your stuff easily thru the top. . Weve (The BMT's) have been doing this for years now and its surprising the pack companies dont sell packs with these inserts!
I remove the frame from my pack as its really not needed anymore so the pack is actually lighter. AND more servicible.
I have a 2000 cu in daypack which has a layer of 1/2 in closed cell foam in a pocket along the back. Gives the pack a bit of structure, protects my back from sharp objects, and can be used as a sit pad. (I usually just sit on the bottom of the pack.)

I frequently line my winter daypack (a shrunk 4000 cu in internal frame pack) with a full size 1/2 in closed cell foam pad. (No end caps.) Results in a rather large, but light pack. Emergency gear plus a hold-open frame.

BTW, a fairly stiff closed-cell pad plus some straps makes a very good magazine splint. I have used same to stabilize an injured knee well enough that the victim was able to walk out on it. (Many of the modern closed cell pads are not stiff enough.)

Doug

Your bag is definitely not too small. I could fit all of my winter gears into 3500 cu-in bag if need be. I use my 4300 cu-inch pack, and fit everything inside save my snowshoes and crampons. The answer is compression. Personally I think compression sacks WASTE space, because they leave dead space between the various items. Try packing all your gear without them, starting with your sleeping bag. The only place I have seen a compression sack to be valuable is with a synthetic bag, which are much less compressable than down.

My EMS packs both had a bottom compartment. I ended up cutting out the devider because I found that it just got in the way. Saved an ounce or too also. This may/may not work for you. Pack from the top. Get a 2 year old to hop on your pack from the top while you are packing it.

-percious

percious said:
The answer is compression. Personally I think compression sacks WASTE space, because they leave dead space between the various items. Try packing all your gear without them, starting with your sleeping bag.
I avoid the dead space by:
1. put self-expanding (eg down) items in stuff sacks (compression if you wish)
2. put the non-self-expanding stuff in oversize stuff sacks

Put group 1 stuff in first, then fill in the voids with the group 2 stuff--the group 2 stuff sacks can change shape as nesessary to fill in the voids left by group 1.

This allows me to keep my stuff organized with stuff sacks with minimal dead space.

Doug

I mananged pretty well this weekend, just used a pack, most used a pack and duffle bag, since we only walked about 3/4 mile to our sites....I have a -40 down bag, weighs app 5lbs, couldn't afford another stuff sack, just used what came with the bag (came out short and wide), I put my parka and pants in the bottom compartment and slid the bag inside the pack, the diameter was just perfect, couldn't create a tube with my pad, was to tight for the sleeping bag.....squished xtra clothes on the sides and top, placed space blanket on top because that's what i need first after setting up the tent...have a new avatar showing me pulling the gear this weekend...take care..

You may find that if you line your sleeping bag compartment with a trash bag then stuff your bag into it you will be OK. It is difficult to get your bag into the bag compartment when the compression sack forces the bag into a strange shape.