Hydration Bladders - seeking opinions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't bother with the insulation kit. The hoses will still freeze or the mouthpiece will. You can still use the system down to the below zero range if you are meticulous about draining the water out of the tube after every sip by holding up the mouthpiece and pinching it or blowing back into the bladder. Also,I've seen the platypus bags leak around the seam at the bottom where they are welded shut. They have a guarantee but it doesnt do you any good when your gear is all wet in the winter. I do like the big ziplock though as far as cleaning goes.

Skip the hydration system in the winter and get an insulated shell for your Nalgene. It's one of the few things that won't irritate you in the winter when you need a drink!

They have a guarantee but it doesnt do you any good when your gear is all wet in the winter.

That's exactly right Jim...or any other time of year where you have no other water source available. I was out riding the CST when my 100oz camelback leaked at the weleded seam by the hose connection. If I wasn't carrying 2 extra water bottles, I would have had no where to store the water. I hope our boys in Iraq don't run into those problems - all their packs have camel back hydration systems.

i vote for platypus seeing that you can remove the tube and put a cap on the spout, this is great at a campsite for pouring etc.

msr dromedary bags are nice also seeing that you can get ones which hold lots of water(up to 10 litres) and accepts shower,washing, and drinking adaptors then cap it up to insure no leakage.

peace

:D

insulation kit

re: "JimB Don't bother with the insulation kit. The hoses will still freeze or the mouthpiece will."
what brand were you using? i hike and ice climb in below zero weather and never had anything freeze. and the omegas are also nice because they use a newer more pliable material that is less likely to crack or split.

i have only used the camelbaks. i don't think it was a conscious choice to not use others, but for me they have always worked, never leaked and replacement parts are always easily available. i do believe they are overpriced, especially the little add-ons that they attempt to sell, though the shut off valve is a very useful idea - though again, i think outrageous at the price.

i use two models, the unbottle 70oz which has a thermo sleeve and a tube sleeve and the 100oz omega. mostly the former in colder conditions - mountaineering, bc snowboarding, etc. ; any time i expect temps to dip below 20o.

i have used the 100oz omega at least 10X at temps slightly >20o and never experienced freezing in any form. the key as someone (sorry, forgot who) mentioned is to blow back all the h20 from the hose into the bladder after EVERY drink. if you are concerned with freezing, try to put the bladder near your back, though i do not and haven't had any issues with the bladder in a hydration devoted sleeve which is on the back of the pack. also, hot or warm h20 in extremely cold temps is always a good idea to ensure you don't have a freeze out.

i will also carry a nalgene with a neoprene cozy as a backup source in case i do have some critical hydration system failure, and usually hike with stove and pot if there are any questions.

for storage, i always clean with a bleach solution and then store in a ziploc bag in the freezer. i will also replace the hose system every 6 mos. or so as you really can't clean the hose and i'd rather be safe than sorry.

good luck on your choice and enjoy.

one other important thing to note on the camelbaks. i don't know if this is a problem with other hydration systems, but i don't trust the hose link. it can be pulled out inadvertantly in your pack which leads to a slow leak that you may not notice until much or all of your gear is soaked. this is annoying in the summer/spring and fall but can be a serious problem in winter. i duct tape the hose connector to ensure i won't inadvertantly pull the hose from the bladder.

cheers

Sorry I put this in the wrong thread :mad:

---Thread drift---

As far as winter hydration the best IMHO are the packs from Back Country Access They run the insulated hose down the shoulder pad to insulate it further.

---End Thread Drift---

I had to replace a Nalgene bladder this year after only a year of use. I replaced it with Camelback 100 oz. Omega. I like it a lot, very easy to fill and close with the large collar around the opening to grab onto.

dromedary

my vote for the MSR dromedary
bombproof
numerous sizes and drink,shower,filter adapters
handy webbing built in so you can lash it to non-dedicated packs or hang it etc
slurp slurp

One more option: Ultimate Direction

I really like the Ultimate Direction bladders with the "DoubleShot" valve. A lot of trail runners and ultra marathoners use them (and the UD packs). You can find more info at:

SportTank hydration bladders

They come in 1-4 Liter sizes, and I've found mine (I have the 4 L one) really durable and the rolltop design handy and completely leak-free. The material seems much higher-grade than that on the other brands, and completely neutral in taste.

I also own Platypus and Camelbak bladders - they're all fine - but having used them all I like the SportTank best overall.

- Steve

Last edited: