Ice Climbers Rescued On Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh! Thanks for the clarification.

Since some of those Canadians live farther away than some of the Californians, can we exclude those canadians or include those Californians -- and should we survey the number of incidents by New Yorkers in, say, New York (or Vermonters in Vermont and Canadians in Canada and New Yorkers in Vermont and Canada, etc.)?

as a rhode islander, (ok I live in mass now) - isn't it fact that most rhode islanders never leave the state - thats why numbers are low!!. I think the rhode islanders on the board will agree mostly. I have trouble getting people from providence to go "all the way to boston". I love rhode island though and will always be a rhode islander with my coffee milk and Quahogs.

Pucknuts61 said:
This was her first winter hike, but he was supposedly very experienced and was just caught too high on the mountain when the weather deteriorated.
At least it's a happy ending........
Am I missing something here? This woman has never been on a winter hike,but she's ice climbing on MW? :eek:

Grumpy said:
From this, weighed against the where-they-hail-from observations, it becomes quite clear that New Yorkers and Canadians must be considerably smarter, on balance, than New Englanders except for those sly old Vermonters.

I guess "Crazy Canucks" doesn't apply in the Whites...

As for the Vermonters, if I had the Ben & Jerry's factory in my backyard I'd be hard pressed to leave my couch let alone the state.

-Shayne

"From her hospital bed, Santala, a native of Finland, detailed her ascent up Damnation Gully and terrifying night atop New England’s highest peak.

She said they started out at 11 a.m. under clear skies and encountered harsh conditions as they approached the summit around 4 p.m."
New Haven Register

What? They started at 11....summit at 4, what time were they planning on descending?

WCVB Boston must have had something wrong about him being experienced but I can see why he declined any comments. Their hiking plan says it all.

KayakDan said:
Am I missing something here? This woman has never been on a winter hike,but she's ice climbing on MW? :eek:

There's nothing like starting at the top and working your way down.
Everything else pales by comparison.

Also...is it possible that the Green Mt. denizons are way busy getting in trouble on their very own high peaks??? :eek:

Sherpa John said:
HAHAHAHAHA! :breathe: HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Sherp J - Too bad you finished the film before this... You could have added a nifty segment.

Jasonst said:
Sherp J - Too bad you finished the film before this... You could have added a nifty segment.

Yes... we could have filmed them glissading down the hatch with black noses and finger tips. Some nice chirstmassy music would have accompanied it great! :eek:

She said they started out at 11 a.m. under clear skies and encountered harsh conditions as they approached the summit around 4 p.m."

You must excuse them, we all know how unusual it is for the weather to be harsh near the top compared to the base. My God, it was even so windy you could hardly stand! :rolleyes:

Glad all turned out well. Kudos to the SAR crew. It is nice to know they are there.

Tony

Although one of the news articles refers to the "summit" it is not clear to me these climbers proceeded to the actual summit, as opposed to the top of Huntington ravine, the high point for most ice climbers in the ravine. Their bivouac near Nelson Crag suggests they made slow progress on their climb of Damnation Gully and were hit by high winds at the top of the ravine, preventing their intended downclimb of the escape hatch.

It is easy to find fault with their actions, and certainly mistakes abound here. But if they did not push on to the summit, attributing their plight to mere stupidity obscures some concrete lessons here. First, the 11 a.m. start from the base of the route probably seemed reasonable if they only intended to climb to the top of the ravine. And it would have been if both climbers had been experienced. They apparently were not. Their painfully slow progress suggests Santala (who is reported to be inexperienced) had difficulty with the climbing. Instead of reversing course and heading down Damnation Gully when the hour got late (and leaving gear in the process), McDonald may have thought it safer to top out and reach the escape hatch. And it would have been had conditions allowed travel in that direction. But the wind was apparently in their faces and they couldn't make any progress. When you are below the lip, it's not always clear that you are about to get hit by a freight train. Another mistake appears to be not having a Plan B when strong winds prohibited travel in their intended direction. Instead of traversing in the teeth of the wind to the escape hatch, they might have walked around the north side and downclimbed to the east.

I made my share of stupid mistakes in the mountains in my first years of climbing. More often than not, it was one small mistake that got progressively worse because I stuck to a preordained plan, not realizing I had other options. If Santala was as inexperienced as reported, she shouldn't have been climbing in Huntington ravine. When that became obvious, they should have headed straight down. And they obviouly should have known the wind forecast for the upper mountain.

That said, I give them both credit for keeping it together and staying alive. Things can get out of control very quickly once panic sets in up there. And like everyone else, I think all credit goes to the SAR teams.

AOC-1
Nice post..perhaps a bit more realistic on how things turned out for them. They did good to pull through the night ok.

I have an unoffical agreement with my wife when I go hiking that she doesn't call in a rescue till I'm at least one day overdue. That way if I drop dead out there I won't have to listen to all the things I should have done for the rest of my life to prevent the situation....

AOC-1 makes some good points.

I've almost killed myself a time or two in the Whites. Fortunately for me, and for the folks who would have come looking, and (perhaps) for my loved ones, all turned out well w/o need of rescue. It's really easy to overestimate one's abilities, plan too much, and not turn around soon enough.

It's even easier to take painfully-obvious jabs at less-experienced and less-fortunate folks while seated in a warm room in front of one's PC. I don't think that most of the folks who get in trouble are necessarily stupid -- or should I say more stupid than me. But that's just me.

Hats off to the SAR folks, and I hope I never make them miss supper or a birthday.

Last edited:
It could never happen to me . . . could it?

Kevin Rooney said:
. . . I dislike intensely the tendency to publicly trash those who become injured/lost in the backcountry.
I totally agree. The persistent practice of boldly expressing one's superiority over those suffering misadventure is an embarrassment, does not reflect well on us as a community, and is rather transparent as well.

I was wondering when you all would jump in. I don't think it's as much a "superiority" complex as it is fearing for the wellbeing of the SAR people who risk it all to save someone who lacked preparation. Yes, that very well could be any one of us being rescued but it's beholden on us to at least prepare for the basics and use common sense.

Right on, AOC-1, afka bob, Kevin Rooney and Tramper Al. It's nice to see folks speak up in the vein of your recent posts, above.

G.

Kudos to AOC-1 for quieting the hiker villification society and stopping the theatre of public flogging. It grates on me a bit as well to hear the so-called experts clinically dissect the mistakes of others, and all the while shooting judgements from the hip. That being said, it is, in the end, a good lesson for all of us to learn from the mistakes of others. There is a very fine line between being adventurous and being stupid and the smallest of circumstances can nudge you from one side of the line to the other. Some hikers can pull themselves back across the line in those circumstances and others cannot. And the SAR folks who I have ever talked to, when that call comes in, could care less if the victims are stupid or not. Human lives are at peril and that is their priority.

JohnL

I agree to a certain extent about with Grumpy, Tamper, Kevin, and Akfa that each of us has done something that may have cost us dearly and we don't need to be trashed in a public forum.

However, there is a little more to this particular hiker in my opinion...machoism.

A supposedly experienced climber taking an inexperienced climber to Washington for a first hike in January makes no sense, not listening to warnings makes no sense, having a timeline that includes a 4:00 summit makes no sense (at least not with a 4-5 hour descent).....all this to prove something to a newbie? :confused:

While I'm sure to remain stupid, I won't be macho enough to risk someone else's life including those of SAR. Trying to boost your ego at such a high cost deserves public flogging.

Poke him with the comfy pillows, I say! :D