Jogger runs mile with rabid fox biting her arm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That woman is a brave and clear-thinking soul -- imagine trying to get that fox in the trunk of your car after it's been clamped on your arm for a mile! Good thinking, getting it tested for rabies.

I also kind of think it's funny....the woman probably will too, 10 years from now. I'm sure it sucked bigtime while it was actually happening.

That's a horrible story. I feel her pain. :eek:
She certainly kept her cool.
That is the joy of hiking with an Akita. Kodi would never have allowed such a thing to happen.
She would have been the one getting a rabies booster.

That is the joy of hiking with an Akita. Kodi would never have allowed such a thing to happen.

The story would have then been "Fox thinks about attacking hiker, then is carried out in the mouth of an Akita for one mile and becomes lunch"

I agree that it's one of those things that's not funny at the time but makes for a great story later on. I'm a little warped, so probably would have laughed when it was happening, too.

But this from Wikpedia: "A study demonstrated neuroendocrine and stress-related hormones decreased during episodes of laughter, which provides support for the claim that humour can relieve stress."

That makes sense, doesn't it? And is a valid excuse for those of us who laugh when our friends fall down. And is a valid reason to excuse those who laugh when we fall down.

That is one magnificent example of staying focused.

I wonder what her time was for that mile ? Perhaps a personal best ?

Run Rabid, Run

Couldn't help myself.:D:eek:

Not funny. Horrible. Hell of a runner.

I probably would've killed it first before running to my car and towing around a live animal in the trunk of my car. (I know that someone will say, " But how?". Don't they have rocks in that state? A good whack on the head. A stout branch would do in a pinch. A good chock hold- it would really piss me off if I got bit by anything. I may bite back. I grew up in the Bronx and we play it dirty. I don't know. I'm just sayin')

That is one magnificent example of staying focused.

I wonder what her time was for that mile ? Perhaps a personal best ?

I was thinking the same thing. Seven minutes of running back to her car wondering, "OK now what am I going to do with this once I get there?" Might have been worth the effort to make a winter hat out of the pelt, at least that would add to the re-telling of the story! :D

Has anyone ever seen a rabid animal attack? I've seen nocturnal animals staggering around in the daytime and assumed - maybe incorrectly - that they were rabid. They were kinda sluggish, but I've read that the fury of a rabid animal's attack is hard to imagine if you haven't seen it.

Rabid fox

Tony wrote...

"Has anyone ever seen a rabid animal attack? I've seen nocturnal animals staggering around in the daytime and assumed - maybe incorrectly - that they were rabid. They were kinda sluggish, but I've read that the fury of a rabid animal's attack is hard to imagine if you haven't seen it."

Well, though I have never seen such an attack in person, I did see one on a PBS show about cheetahs. The animal, an adult cheetah, behaved in a suspicious manner by approaching two men. It ended up bitting one of them and was captured. A day or two later it was displaying obvious signs of sickness that turned out to be rabbies and it died. The man was treated immediately and lived
A rabid animal may appear healthy (to most of us, including myself) at first. Late stages in the disease the animal may appear very, and obviously, unhealthy- weak, staggering, foaming at the mouth. But, even late in the diseases progress an animal may still be capable of a surprisingly strong and vicious attack. That is why I repeatedly advise that we and our pets keep a wide distance from any wild or unfamiliar animals that we may encounter, even if they do not appear sick or are the usual species associated with the disease. My mind goes to the real case of a small child that died of rabbies after coming in coming in contact with a sick cat. She was not even bitten.

I think that Tony made a very important observation when he made the remark about seeing nocturnal animals abroad during the day time. Any animal that acts in an unexpected manner is to be treated as highly suspicious. Especially a wild animal that approaches us.

By the way- I don't supose that any of this threads viewers see "The View"? But last weds, "what the hell weds", this story (women jogger and fox) came up. No new insights, but this story is certainly a "What the Hell" if I ever heard one.

Michelle Felicetta (the fox attack victim) was on the Late Show with David Letterman Monday night (Nov 15). Video of the interview is available from http://lateshow.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/wahoo/index/php/20081117.phtml

Youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNHu9pqz7B0

IIRC:
The fox was sitting in the trail. She stopped (jogging) and the fox came toward her. When she started to back off, it sprang forward and bit her in the toe. She grabbed the fox by its neck (behind the head) and it bit her other arm. It stayed clamped on her arm while she ran to her car (~1mi). (She was wearing a sweatshirt.) She flipped her sweatshirt inside out over the fox and was able to throw it in the trunk of her car and drive to medical help. The fox also bit the animal control officer... Both are receiving rabies shots.

The location was in Arizona.

Lots more versions of the story: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Michelle+Felicetta+fox+attack&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Doug

Last edited: