July 4th weekend invitation to Barnes Field

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I booked group sites 10 and 11 at BF for Thursday night through Saturday night over July 4th weekend. Should be a great weekend with lots of activities going on.

A tentative Pressie Traverse for those interested on Friday. Red, white and Blue colors are encouraged and Uncle Sam hats would be great.....make sure to include chin straps on them so they will be in your posession even after the hike :D

Saturday and Sunday activities will be flexible and I assume people will group up according to their needs of the day.

Let's hope for great weather and few blisters :)

Each site has a 20-person limit and sharing tents and carpooling is highly encouraged. They have a $5 charge per vehicle above 1 vehicle per site. Maybe VFTT should permanently place a yellow school bus in Gorham ;)
Please bring firewood if you have some available.

If you are into rock climbing - bring your equipment......rumours are there will be some of that going on as well. See you there!

uncle_sam.JPG

I'll be coming up from Western Mass on Thursday afternoon. Staying until Monday. Planning on doing (in no order)

1. Great Gulf to Washington
2. Madison Gulf Trail
3. Gulfside Trail, maybe hit random summits
4. Boott Spur/Isolation/Davis/Glen Boulder

I have room in my car and tent but must warn that I'm not a very likable person. Ask Giggy.

See you mutha f_ckas there.

-Dr. Wu

Not true wu is a good guy.

Will be in area with family doing our own thing, but I am going to try and swing by and say hi one of the nights. I will have my son, so it will be an early departure and very easy hiking that weekend.

If anyone has a kid around 3 or 4 and wants company on a mile (tops) hike, let me know via PM.

Count me in. Primarily interested in hiking, but will bring rope & gear.

What time does this traverse start? Normally if it's an early start I'd say start without me & I'll catch up, but if Mats is setting the pace that might be tough.

---DAve

Pretty likely that I will be there Saturday evening. Bring grill and foodstuffs?

No idea of hiking plans as yet, but likely solo as my pace is pretty far off the mark of most folks from VFTT these days. :)

Seeker said:
Pretty likely that I will be there Saturday evening. Bring grill and foodstuffs?

Darl58 also bought up the issue. Does anyone have a grill they can bring along? I'll bring disco balls if someone brings a grill :D

Although I won't be up in the Whites July 4th weekend I do have a grill that you are welcome to use. I am miles 2 miles off of 495 exit 27, so any one passing on the way north could pick it up.

Dave

I'll bring my grill, but at this point I may be looking heading north on Friday morning, hiking during the day, and arriving at Barnes at dinner time.

I had to abandon my planned Mahoosuc/Grafton loop backpacking trip because of a incredible career opportunity for Ashley which requires her to be available all next week ( and not all busted up from hiking).Wed/ Thur we will be doing the Pilot range and would like to join the festities at Barne's field after that, sounds like fun. What's the deal, do we need a reservation or just show up? Also are hiking dogs allowed? With heat in the forecast we may have to leave the dogs home anyway(traverse) but would like to know regardless.

David Metsky said:
I'll bring my grill, but at this point I may be looking heading north on Friday morning, hiking during the day, and arriving at Barnes at dinner time.

Very good.....there's always Mr. Pizza in Gorham for Thursday night ;)

Sasquatch said:
I had to abandon my planned Mahoosuc/Grafton loop backpacking trip because of a incredible career opportunity for Ashley which requires her to be available all next week ( and not all busted up from hiking).Wed/ Thur we will be doing the Pilot range and would like to join the festities at Barne's field after that, sounds like fun. What's the deal, do we need a reservation or just show up? Also are hiking dogs allowed? With heat in the forecast we may have to leave the dogs home anyway(traverse) but would like to know regardless.

It's good to let us know if you are coming or not so we get a feel for how many people are showing up. Right now i don't think we have quite 20 people yet and we have space for 40......carpooling is highly recommended so we don't get 1 car per person.

Google Barnes Field Campground and find out about if dogs are allowed.....have some internet connection issues here.

Dogs are always welcome at the USFS campgrounds in NH. The state parks are, in some instances, a different story. (Don't get me started . . . )

EDIT: Here's the rule from the WMNF:

Pets and Animals:

In undeveloped areas (dispersed camping sites and hiking trails, for example), pets must be kept under control. Pets in developed recreation sites must be crated, caged, kept on a leash not longer than 6 feet, or otherwise under physical restrictive control. .
Pets are not allowed in swimming areas.
Saddle, pack, or draft animals are allowed only in authorized areas. The are prohibited along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail (AT).

Last edited:
Well then count Ashley and me in.I know the dogs are allowed at the campground, we've been there before, but did not know if it's appropriate to bring dogs to a group event/hike.

I'm coming from Western Mass late Thursday afternoon and staying until late Monday afternoon. Possibility of a carpool is open: heading up I-91 to either I-93 South or I don't know, Route 2.

In terms of a tent: I might have a 2-person, maybe a 1-person instead or I might even sleep under a tarp -- I don't know.

In terms of hiking. I already mentioned what I intend to do.

1. Great Gulf Trail
2. Madison Gulf Trail
3. Boott Spur/Isolation
4. Gulfside Trail

Hopefully I'll be able to do 3/4 of those. But you probably want to do the presi traverse with Mats. I do usually bring beer on hikes though...

-Dr. Wu

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to last minute cancelations, we may be up that way. All my plans just got blown all out the window, now we're in the screw-it mode, and may end up hiking instead of just hanging around......How do we find you on one of those nights? We also have a dog, she's very friendly, especially if there food. :D

dr_wu002 said:
In terms of a tent: I might have a 2-person, maybe a 1-person instead or I might even sleep under a tarp -- I don't know. I might even find the nearest pit toilet and just crawl in. So possibility that I'll tent with you is less so although the pit toilet option is probably open to all.

Hopefully I'll be able to do 3/4 of those. But you probably want to do the presi traverse with Mats. I do usually bring beer on hikes though...

-Dr. Wu

Yes, adult beverages should not be limited to just hardcore hikes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Carpooling.....a chunk of us are meeting at the Park and Ride off Exit 42 on I-93 in MA.........meeting time 3:45pm on Thursday.....then we can decide how to carpool from there.....

Depending on how many will do the Pressie traverse on Friday, we'll place one or two cars at Crawford Notch Thursday evening on the way to BF.

Pressie traverse will be north to south. Anyone planning to do the northern peaks and then go down to Cog Railway via Jewel Trail or the one which goes down from Lake of the Clouds? We can coordinate picking up there Thursday evening also....

I have a 9-person tent so there are some extra slots there.....if it's raining it might be the aprty tent though ;)

For techncial climbing, if myself, Jeff Stone and Darlene bring a rope each we should be fine I think. Ropes makes great pillows and sleeping pads also :D

Mats Roing said:
Pressie traverse will be north to south. Anyone planning to do the northern peaks and then go down to Cog Railway via Jewel Trail or the one which goes down from Lake of the Clouds? We can coordinate picking up there Thursday evening also....
I'm planning on doing the North Peaks, probably to Washington and then walking the Gulfside Trail back. I've never walked the entire length of the Gulfside Trail -- end to end in one hike anyway. So I might join you guys for the first part and then go back alone... or with someone else if they want to come with me.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited: