Lanterns and stoves ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Hello to all. First time, short time here. Glad to see this group exists.
After a long break, I am updating, upgrading my backpacking equipment.
I have an old candle lantern that still works fine and have recently bought a Brunton Glorb,
which is nice and compact and works off butane charges.

With stoves, are you still using white gas or canisters ? I still use an Optimus 8R, which is a little heavy,
but burns like the sun and is fuel efficient.

What is the opinion of different lanterns and stoves, especially in winter, any input would be appreciated.

Winter... I would stick to white gas. I use the primus vari fuel. Weighs in at 14 oz. I don't know how heavy your stove is but if it still works well, and you are happy with it. Stick with it.

Chip said:
With stoves, are you still using white gas or canisters ? I still use an Optimus 8R, which is a little heavy, but burns like the sun and is fuel efficient.

What is the opinion of different lanterns and stoves, especially in winter, any input would be appreciated.

Have an 8R too. Good stove. If you have the add-on pump, it can also be used in winter.

The canister based fuels (butane and butane-propane mixes) do not work very well in the cold. Some people do coax them to work, but it is not worth the effort IMO. (The situation is different at high altitude.)

Most people use white gas stoves with a pump in winter. A good windscreen is also very helpful. (I use an MSR G, predecessor of the MSR XGK.) A great snow melter.

Most of the people I know don't use a lantern. An LED headlamp with a low intensity setting is lighter, simpler, and quite adequate. There are also LED lanterns.

Doug

Chip,
I use an MSR Whisperlight for winter and then rotate between Esbit and pepsi can stoves for 3-season trips. I have been thinking about getting a small canister stove like the giga or pocket rocket for family summer backpacking, but haven't had a increased desire to part with the money yet.
I haven't heard much good on the Canisters in extremely cold weather, and with the reliability of the W-lite, why anger the snow gods.

For Summer use, I am very satisfied cooking for just myself on a pepsi can stoves. I used a Trangia Mini 28 for about 4 years in the late 90's, but sold it on Ebay. For about 6-7 years before that, I used my Whisperlight for all seasons.

If you like to tinker, you might want to try a pepsi can stove first and keep the 8R for winter. You can get a optional pressure pump for the older self pressurized 8R, which increases performance and decreases boil time Here

BTW, I sold my very old, but still very workable Phoenix Backpacker (looks just like the Optimus 8R) on Ebay a couple of years ago for about $36 - Which absolutely thrilled me!

Last edited:
By pepsi can, do you mean the "tuna can" type home made denatured alcohol stoves ?

I recently retired my original 8R, which I bought new for about $12 around 1972 at the original EMS in Ardsley, NY.
My "new" 8R was bought in "like new" condition off ebay for about $25.
I still prime it the old fashioned way, pumps are for the faint of heart. ;)

Chip said:

That's fine when there isn'T snow, but, unless you have some kind of insulation underneath, as it warms up (which produces the pressure to feed the feul), it starts melting snow. The wet snow provides better cooling than the dry snow, and the cooling reduces teh pressure in the fuel tank, reducing the flame, which further reduces the pressure in the tank.

Having a pump does not mean it is easier to light, it means that you can maintain pressure independent of ambiant temperature.

Chip said:
By pepsi can, do you mean the "tuna can" type home made denatured alcohol stoves ?

I recently retired my original 8R, which I bought new for about $12 around 1972 at the original EMS in Ardsley, NY.
My "new" 8R was bought in "like new" condition off ebay for about $25.

I use a Primus Himalaya For the winter and a pepsi can stove for most other months. Sometimes I use an MSR simmerlite in the summer if there are going to be a bunch of people and I need lots of water.

-percious

Chip said:

It is similiar to the catcan stove, but much nicer to look at. It takes a few minutes longer to make, but boy are they great. Here is the link to the Pepsi Can Stove.

FWIW, I never had a problem with pressurization on my Phoenix Backpacker in warmer weather, but like Pete says, it turns into a never ending losing battle in the winter.
Good Luck

Generally I use a mantle latern for car camping (a good old fashioned Coleman).
But for hiking, I use a Princeton Tec 2 headlamp. Lighter weight and more efficient. Plus it's easier to carry a couple of double A batteries than it is to carry fuel, and the lantern takes up too much space and weight.
This is a similar one for short money.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BannerManager?adv=670227&prod=39042

Memories . . .

Chip said:
I recently retired my original 8R, which I bought new for about $12 around 1972 at the original EMS in Ardsley, NY. . . .

My 8R also was purchased ca 1971-72, for about $12. It was in regular service until the mid 1990s, when I gave up backpacking trips in favor of day hikes. ("Bad" back.) Our candle lantern also dates back into the 1970s, and still gets used sometimes when we car camp. Mrs. G. likes its soft light. Perhaps she is nostalgic.

Our car camping kit also includes a Coleman single-mantle gas lantern, which puts out plenty of light. About 10-12 years ago we got this one as a replacement for our old two-mantle lantern, which is much bulkier. Our two-burner Coleman gas stove continues to operate reliably and well despite having logged its 50th year of service last summer.

G.