Livermore camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
Are there places to camp along the Livermore trail near the Tripyramid loop?
Thanks

There are numerous places along the Livermore Trail that would be suitable for camping, and, to the best of my knowledge are unrestricted provided you follow the usual back-country rules of etiquette (camp when possible in already-impacted areas, don't camp within 200 feet of a trail or water source, etc... full list of rules at Back Country Camping Rules 2008). I would say that there are numerous partially cleared areas (probably old skidder trails) above the Kettles Path to the north side of the Livermore Road that are worth exploring. I have not camped in this area myself, however, so YMMV. All the usual back-country precautions to avoid overly familiar interactions with bears should practiced, too.

Keep in mind -- you cross into the Sandwich Range Wilderness almost immediately upon picking up the North Slide Trail, so camping higher up more restricted.

If I have any of this wrong (and I probably do), I trust others will chime in.

Somewhat above where Livermore Road splits off from the ski area there is a large clearing on the left (going up). Possibly the remains of an old logging camp. I have seen tents at the back of the field, but have not investigated myself.

Doug

Right, Doug...

Specifically, there are several significant clearings as you ascend... first is obviously Depot Camp, but that doesn't help as it's 2+ miles from the Tripyramid trails. Second notable one is about a mile up on the right at the top of a long grade above the Kettles Path -- still too far down to be much help, but nice views. Third would be the one you mention, on the left side about 1.5 miles up (more or less); I think this is the old "Beckytown" clearing. The last, and closest, would probably be Avalanche Camp, which is a clearing up above the South Slide intersection, though I think it was pretty well grown in with small brush the last time I rode by it.

As I mentioned, just keeping eyes left (north) of the trail along the way might score a little-used patch, as there are places where old skidder roads parallel the main trail, and the undergrowth is thin enough to support a small campsite.

DrewKnight said:
Third would be the one you mention, on the left side about 1.5 miles up (more or less); I think this is the old "Beckytown" clearing. The last, and closest, would probably be Avalanche Camp, which is a clearing up above the South Slide intersection, though I think it was pretty well grown in with small brush the last time I rode by it.
The junction with the last of the ski area trails is 2.05 mi from the parking lot (according to NG TOPO!). IIRC, the large clearing that I was referring to is above that point and most likely below the junction with the trail to S. Tripyramid. (It has been several years since I have been along that section of trail.)

IMO, it is too close to the trailhead to be of much use (unless you just want an easy walk to a campsite).

In general, hammock camping is probably much more practical than tent camping in this region. Lots of trees and sloping ground. IIRC, the tent that I saw was on snow which would making finding a site easier.

Doug

Thank you very much. I do want to do the tripyramids as an overnight. I am in shape, but I hike slowly and don't want to hike out in the dark. It is a long rough hike according to the Guide.
B.

If you start early enough you can hike out without a headlamp. If memory serves it took me about 7 hours. Just curious when you were think of doing the hike because I was thinking of doing it in the not too distant future. I personally like the slides (north & south) but you can avoid the north slide if you take the Scaur Ridge Trail to the north peak.

bruised said:
Thank you very much. I do want to do the tripyramids as an overnight. I am in shape, but I hike slowly and don't want to hike out in the dark. It is a long rough hike according to the Guide.
B.
I've done it multiple times--always as a day trip taking the North Slide up. (The Scaur Ridge Trail is probably faster.) Don't recall ever coming out in the dark--I'm not very fast myself.

Once you are off the mountain, Livermore Road/Trail is an obvious and well cleared road. If you have to hike it in the dark, it is trivial--just bring a light. (FWIW, I have XC skied it in the dark without difficulty.)

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
I've done it multiple times--always as a day trip taking the North Slide up. (The Scaur Ridge Trail is probably faster.) Don't recall ever coming out in the dark--I'm not very fast myself.

Once you are off the mountain, Livermore Road/Trail is an obvious and well cleared road. If you have to hike it in the dark, it is trivial--just bring a light. (FWIW, I have XC skied it in the dark without difficulty.)

Doug

How do you figure the Scaur Ridge Trail faster? Just curious. The book is saying that it adds about a mile more for the round trip......we were thinking about doing this, this weekend, as well, also as an overnighter. Eleven miles in one day is quite a lot for me and dog too. She's 13 yrs old and always wants to come with us.

Scaur Ridge

Scaur Ridge is a very gentle, moderate hike until the last 1/2 mile or so where it becomes a little steeper, but is moderate until it reaches the Pine Bend Brook Trail where things become even more steep, but still moderate as you climb to the summit of North Tripyramid. The climb up Mount Tripyramid Trail climbs the North Slide which is a combination of rock ledge and loose gravel that climbs 1800' over 1.2 miles, making it one of the steepest trails in the Whites. It can be very slippery and downright dangerous when wet.

I wouldn't attempt this with an old dog. You may even consider crossing to Middle Tripyramid and then returning to North Tri and descending by the same route of Pine Bend Brook and Scaur Ridge Trails. Although easier to navigate than North Slide, South Tripyramid Slide is a lot of loose gravel and may also be difficult for an old dog. I would be more comfortable taking him down South Slide than I would be climbing North Slide with him. Personally, I would never descend by North Slide. Made that mistake once in the rain and I'm lucky to be here to tell about it.

KDT

Last edited:
Klutz said:
How do you figure the Scaur Ridge Trail faster? Just curious. The book is saying that it adds about a mile more for the round trip......we were thinking about doing this, this weekend, as well, also as an overnighter.
As I stated earlier, I've always taken the N Slide up.

The N Slide is steep, mossy and slippery at the bottom, slabby in the middle, and has a lot of loose rock at the top. It may be shorter, but the difficulty slows many/most hikers down. It is also too difficult for some hikers.

I haven't taken the trail myself, but one can generally move faster on a maintained trail.

The S Slide is significantly easier than the N Slide. (Most people doing the slide loop go up the N and down the S slides.)

Doug

Thanks this is a lot of great information. By the sounds of all of it and our game plan is to take the Livermore Trail, up Scaur Ridge to North Tripyramid, over to the South Peak, then down Mt. Tripyramid Trail. Does this sound more doable? I'm not quite sure which trail will be the best to get to the Livermore Trail though, any suggestions there?

I've been keeping an eye on the weather. If the weatherman is close to being correct things may dry out a little by Saturday(here's hoping).

Klutz said:
I'm not quite sure which trail will be the best to get to the Livermore Trail though, any suggestions there?
Park at Depot Camp (named for an old logging camp, now a parking lot, access just off Tripoli Rd in Waterville Valley), follow Livermore Rd to Livermore Tr. (Livermore Tr is just a recent renaming of the upper part of Livermore Rd. Physically it is all the same fire road--often called upper Livermore Rd by us older timers...)

If you don't have it, get the AMC White Mountain Guide. It has the access details, trail details, and maps.

Doug

If time is of a concern - I know this is the boring route, but if you take Livermore to to Scaur to Pine Bend Brook up to the North Peak, then the Mt. Try trail to the Middle Peak - then turn tail and return the same way you shave significant time and mileage off your day - and you can save hauling a lot of weight for camping...

The normal route is over 12 miles with 3000 feet of gain...
The way I just described it is 9.2 miles round trip and a little less gain - no crazy slides...I would agree though - I liked the South Slide - although it is a bit tedious with the loose rock...the North Slide is probably not for me...

There is also some confusion when you reach the first trail sign where the South Slide exits back to the Livermore Trail. Some people take the right at the sign and find themselves at the base of the South Slide. Instead, do not turn right and keep going and in about a mile you will see the sign for both the Scaur Ridge Trail and the North Side.

sapblatt said:
If time is of a concern - I know this is the boring route, but if you take Livermore to to Scaur to Pine Bend Brook up to the North Peak, then the Mt. Try trail to the Middle Peak - then turn tail and return the same way you shave significant time and mileage off your day - and you can save hauling a lot of weight for camping...
There are some nice views from the top of the South Slide at the South Peak. IMO, it is worth continuing to the South Peak before turning back. (Or you can take a look at the slide and decide whether to descend or turn back.)

Doug

MadRiver said:
There is also some confusion when you reach the first trail sign where the South Slide exits back to the Livermore Trail. Some people take the right at the sign and find themselves at the base of the South Slide. Instead, do not turn right and keep going and in about a mile you will see the sign for both the Scaur Ridge Trail and the North Side.
Additional detail:
* As you continue on Livermore Tr/Rd, you will reach a sharp left uphill turn (the beginning of "the switchback"). The trail to the N slide is on the right here (IIRC, signed).
* The Scaur Ridge Trail is a short distance above the turn, also signed.

Doug

DougPaul said:
There are some nice views from the top of the South Slide at the South Peak. IMO, it is worth continuing to the South Peak before turning back. (Or you can take a look at the slide and decide whether to descend or turn back.)

Doug

Doug - I totally agree with that suggestion - that is a nice spot....truth is, after you get down the slide - which does not take all that long - it is a pretty easy, flat hike out.

Just a quick note on the time issue. The last time I did this, I took the Scaur Ridge Tr up. Stopped to chat with a group of hikers headed up the North Slide. We all arrived at N. Tri at the same time. I'm also not an especially fast hiker and have always done the loop as a day trip with plenty of time to be out before dark.
Harry

sapblatt said:
Doug - I totally agree with that suggestion - that is a nice spot....truth is, after you get down the slide - which does not take all that long - it is a pretty easy, flat hike out.
Pretty easy and fast to descend the (S) slide, too.

The slide is mostly large gravel (up to 2 or 3 inch) with a few ledges in the upper portion. A bit laborious to ascend, not hard to descend.

Doug