Moosilauke and a Baby?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
A friend of mine has come up with an itinerary to climb Moosilauke over south peak in a couple of weekends.

(Start @ Ravine Lodge, hike up Snapper Trail to Carriage Road. Continue on Carriage Road over South Peak (4560') to Mt. Moosilauke (4802'). Return via Gorge Brook Trail. )

I think this is probably reasonable, as we are both experienced climbers, and 3000 vertical feet doesn't scare me. My question is this. How steep is the preceeding itinerary? I want to avoid sections of trail that are rock faced, requiring you to pull your self up, or slide down on your butt. (Like the South Side of Haystack in ADKs) Has anyone done this hike with a kid on their back? I know it is a long day, and that doesn't worry me too much, my son likes to sleep in the carrier. How about the Black flies? Any other suggestions?

-percious

I'd avoid the Beaver Brook trail carrying a baby, it's pretty steep for the first parts. I've never been up Snapper or Carriage road but I've heard they're easier.

Have fun.

Gorge Brook and Snapper are easier then Beaver Brook, but you are still climbing a fairly tall mountain by eastern standards. It is not a particularly tough or long hike. IMO, I still wouldn't climb with a child on my back. I often have a slight fall on hikes. I wouldn't want to injure a child (again, that is my opinion, YMMV) when these falls occur.

Last edited:
Im just trying to get an idea of the steepness of the trail. For instance, I would take my son up Marcy, Skylight, or Big Slide, but not Haystack, Gothics, or Basin. Sorry for the ADK references, but I only have experience with Jefferson (six husbands) and Washington in the whites. I think it is better to get the steeps out of the way first, (Gorge Brook Trail) and then take the Carriage Trail down.

-percious

Neither Gorge Brook nor Snapper have any real steep sections. The ski team runs up GB every year for time, it's got excellent footing. We built many sets of rock steps on the steepest parts. Snapper/Carriage Road is even better with few if any steep sections.

There are photos and descriptions here that may help put things in perspective.

-dave-

I once saw a man with a small toddler ascend Flume slide and said to myself YIKES! I wouldn't do that! I also saw a family climb Mt Washington with a thunderstorm racing in and a guy with a baby determined to make it to the top......

Sounds like your route is sensible Percious.

My son is only 1 yr. old, about 25lb extra to carry. Its kind of like carrying a pack full of your grandmother's good china. It's heavy, and under no circumstances can you drop it. I have been hiking with him since he was 6 weeks old, and I have yet to have problems (even with snowshoes on). I'm the kind of person where if it gets too hairy, I will turn back. I have not hiked Cascade yet, but I plan to this summer with my wife and son, I dont anticipate any problems. I only hope the weather is good.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

-percious

Percious, your description of carrying your son is right on cue except for one thing, the fragil cargo WILL shift unexpectedly:eek:

Would love to read the trip report. I was thinking about the same loop with my kids (7,6,2) with me being the sherpa for the youngest.

A few years ago I saw a couple hiking with a small baby (<6 months) up Beaver Brook trail intending to summit Moosilauke and descend via Gorge Brook. The father was using a cuddle carrier, the kind with the baby suspended in front at about chest level. I saw them again towards the end of the hike, no injuries or complaints from any of them. IMO, Beaver Brook is more difficult than Gorge Brook, and the Carriage road is easy.

As for black flies, a couple of weeks ago I saw a couple on Watatic with a small child in a back pack carrier that had a canopy with bug netting.

Good luck!

If I was going with my son in the infant carrier, I'd probably opt for either Carriage Road all the way & back or up one of the trails you mentioned & then down the Beaver Brook & Asquam Ridge Trails. I have not been on Snapper & onlny down Gorgewhich would be good but from memory, the Asquam Ridge trail seems to avoid every steep or even moderate terrain there was. It reminded more of the ramps they had at the Gah-den & easier than Cascade but longer. The part you are on Beaver Brook is above the steep part, it's easy up there.

I think the DOC alumni must make the underclassmen level the rocks in the steps & brush the trails with toothbrushes, those trails are some of the neatest trails out there, IMO. Edmands must have been a memder of the DOC

Percious
My wife will be having a baby in July. What is the best way to hike with a baby before they can hold their head up. I have one of those front carriers and was thinking of using this until it gets old enough to use the Kelty Kids Backcountry. What is your opinion. I plan on doing most of my hiking in North Jersey as well as the Catskills. Thanks

Those front type carriers work well for little babies. I had one that unzipped next to my body and I could breastfeed my girls while I was walking (nothing too strenous here). They stay nice and warm next to your body and you can zip them under your coat. Have fun!!

Yup, front packs (any brand is just fine) work well till age 4-5 mos then the Kelty or similar is good. They are VERY stable and protected, and feel OK till your back starts to hurt at 18 lbs or so. We hiked with my son starting at age 6 wks, though my wife did have to stop about every 30 mins to feed him (now 6 1/2 yrs and 68 lbs!) Wow, breastfeeding while walking... pretty cool... next thing they'll have a Camelbak with ... never mind. Time to go to bed.
Weatherman

Snowshoe,

Kelty Kangaroo is a very good front carrying unit for babies that cannot support their heads. I used this with my youngest and found that it was very easy compared to other brands to load the baby (even when sleeping) compared to other brands. The straps for the user are wide and comfortable. It also comes with a small diaper bag that is removable. We got ours at REI for about $70. Besides hiking we used while shopping, doing light yard work and walking around town.

Sorry for going off subject.

Best of luck on parenthood, it is well worth it!!!!!!

brian

Snoeshoe,
I second the Kelty Kangaroo. Its actually a real pleasure to hike with them when they are that young. I think that it reminds them of being in the womb when you walk with them attached, because my son always fell asleep. The Kangaroo is a little expensive, but I think it is worth it, because the front pouch is adequate for daypacking, and its pretty comfortable. You just really have to watch your step when you are wearing it. Oh, and the front pouch is cool, because you can feed them while you hike along. Women really have it made in that respect.

-percious

We did Moosilauke on Saturday - going up the Ridge trail and down the Carriage Rd/Snapper trail. I have the GPS profile for that hike with the pics on our Web Page
http://www.rbhayes.net/latesthike.html

If you look at it you will see that the Ridge trail is less steep that the Carriage Rd/Snapper trail. I'd come down Ridge trail - longer but easier.

For a GPS we use the Garmin GPS ll - it has an external antenna and receives a signal in most places compared to the newer smaller units that do not have the external antenna and do not recieve a signal reliably in heavy tree cover.

For software we use a product from Maptech which includes maps for all of New England. It is very easy to draw the route you want to follow - look at the profile - download waypoints/routes to a GPS, and print a map at any scale. Ditto for uploading a track after a hike. Very quick and easy.
http://www.maptech.com/land/index.cfm