Mt Waumbek- Because it's on a list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
I spent the long weekend back in western Maine, and decided that on the drive back to Vermont that I would go for a hike. I had been thinking of doing Jay Peak and Big Jay or Boundary Mt, but the thought of doing the less than 4k peaks did not seem too exciting. After some thinking, I decided to go do Mt Waumbek since it is only 1/3 of a mile off of rte 2 and was also a 4k mountain. So, I awoke a little after 6 this morning and headed over to NH. The skies were partly cloudy w/ the sun poking through as I drove through the Mexico and Bethel areas. The day looked promising!

The day's promise quickly faded as soon as I hit the NH border and the rain started to fall. Just a passing shower, right? I arrived at the trailhead around 8:30 and slowly started getting ready for my hike. I had considered hiking Washington today for like the 6th or 7th time, but upon waking up this morning had discovered that my body was very stiff from playing 4 sets of tennis and trying to imitate Andre Agassi. The closest I got to the imitation was looking as stiff and old as he did after he was done at the U.S. Open, and I didn't even get a standing ovation for that. I slowly staggered up the trail, with only about 30 % of my body parts working properly.

The 3.6 mile hike up to the top was at a moderate steepness, but no difficult sections. My only problem was that my hamstring that I tore 2 months prior was now aching w/ every step upward that I took. And it was still raining. I gimped my way to the top in around 3 hours time. Very slow. I got to the top to find... a rock pile?? Wow, lovely summit. I took 3 minutes to eat last night's leftover hamburger and headed back down the trail muttering, "I climbed all the way up for this?"

The trip down was much quicker. I saw about 7-8 other people on the hike today, all seeming to move at about twice my speed. I stopped about 2/3 of the way down to check my cell phone to see what time it was, and discovered that my phone was all wet and had died! As of press time, the phone is now officially DOA. I ended up back at the car a little after 1 p.m. I was happy to be done. 7.2 miles, 2600 vertical, 1 dead cell phone, 1 soggy, grumpy hiker w/ a sore hamstring/back/knee.

#15 of the 48
#33 of the 67

You got the title of this thread right !!! I did this one with my Lab earlier in the summer on one of those hot, humid days.. Six hours of round trip driving from the Boston area, no views........like you said ..."its on the list" . Can't think of another reason to do it.

It will be a long time until I return to Waumbek, unless it's winter with a good snowpack.

Starr King was real nice when I was there too. In the future, however, I could see the view being spoiled by growing trees.

yeah.....it's on a list

Does anyone have some thoughts about what it would be like in early October-especially after the foliage is reduced?

Squashman said:
Does anyone have some thoughts about what it would be like in early October-especially after the foliage is reduced?
The best time may be when there is a decent snowpack up high. Makes it easier to see over the foliage at Sky King. Nice views of the N. Prezzies.

Doug

Starr King Views

DougPaul said:
The best time may be when there is a decent snowpack up high. Makes it easier to see over the foliage at Starr King. Nice views of the N. Prezzies.

Doug

I'm sure Doug and New Hampshire are right that winter would be best for views from Starr King, but there is a boulder on the right of the trail, just before the summit clearing with the chimney at the far end, which is easy to climb up onto and from which, in the summer of '04, you could see over the trees for fine views. Of course, trees grow in two years.

Why do people dump on the Pliny range so much? Personally, I think everything north of route 2 in NH is worth the hike. The KRT and Coos Trail are wonderful, and yes, one can get views to the south in the fall off of waumbek. I think I just really love the novelty of beating the crowds in the whites, something the plinys always afford.

Admittedly, there are more rewarding hikes up there that are also on lists. The Horn is quite possibly my new favorite hike in Northern NH. LOve it! Reminds me of a remote little moriah.

Reactions: dug
I agree with Pamola. If you are looking for a nice walk in the woods, lists-be-damned, that is a great area.

the forest along Kilkenny Ridge Trail in summer is gorgeous, plush green mossy growth with lots of fern ... alot like the Bigelow Range in Maine

sometimes you miss some great views, underestimating hiking a peak because it doesn't have trails above treeline

take your time and "see the forest for the trees" ... appreciate the opportunity to visit our local mountains ... many people rarely have that option

hiking out to Couchie, i passed a few folks who grunted "i can't believe i had to hike out to Couchie" ... i asked them why they "had" to ... they replied with the 100-mile stare

hike your own hike, but remember that it's not always about the destination

arm said:
the forest along Kilkenny Ridge Trail in summer is gorgeous, plush green mossy growth with lots of fern ... alot like the Bigelow Range in Maine

sometimes you miss some great views, underestimating hiking a peak because it doesn't have trails above treeline

take your time and "see the forest for the trees" ... appreciate the opportunity to visit our local mountains ... many people rarely have that option

hiking out to Couchie, i passed a few folks who grunted "i can't believe i had to hike out to Couchie" ... i asked them why they "had" to ... they replied with the 100-mile stare

hike your own hike, but remember that it's not always about the destination
Awesome Post.

I couldn't possibly add anything to this. I thought Waumbek was a great mountain and that ridge is absolutely gorgeous. One of my favorite hikes.

If you really don't want to do peaks like Waumbek, why don't you just lie about it. Say you did it and save yourself the trouble. Why not?

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Awesome Post.

I couldn't possibly add anything to this. I thought Waumbek was a great mountain and that ridge is absolutely gorgeous. One of my favorite hikes.

If you really don't want to do peaks like Waumbek, why don't you just lie about it. Say you did it and save yourself the trouble. Why not?

-Dr. Wu

It is not like anyone is going to come up to you at the awards dinner and say "I bet you didn't even hike Waumbek - you cheated - no patch for you!" :D

Well, you do get some points for honesty. But if you're only in it for the views, then it would seem that you're missing out on a lot of the beauty of the hill. And if you don't enjoy viewless summits, then what is the purpose of doing the list?

To me, the personality of the mountain draws me nearer to itself when the fog rolls in and obscures the views. I've hiked up Waumbek 7 times and it sure as heck is not for any views. The views are many times a distraction to a greater form of beauty along the trails. You don't have to stop and smell the roses but you should at least recognize that they are there.

JohnL

JohnL said:
And if you don't enjoy viewless summits, then what is the purpose of doing the list?

JohnL

Or switch to a list that has no viewless summits - there are some. It's worth noting that hiking somewhere just because it's on a list doesn't mean you're not likely to enjoy yourself. I've done that lots of times, to destinations that sometimes exceeded my expectations and other times didn't, and enjoyed every one, as for that matter every other hike I can remember. I think it would take a serious injury to me or someone else for me not to enjoy a hike, and I'm fortunate not to have had that happen.

I second the praise of Pamola and arm for the Pliny Range, from what I've seen of it. I enjoyed both Waumbek and the Weeks Ridge despite the lack of spectacular views.

arm said:
the forest along Kilkenny Ridge Trail in summer is gorgeous, plush green mossy growth with lots of fern

I was wondering if was the only one that really enjoys this trail. I had the pleasure of hiking up Waumbek and out to the Weeks again this weekend. I've been saying that this is one of my favorite trails for a while. To me it is so nice to be walking through the woods and not pounding along all day on a bunch of rocks. You get a few nice views here and there along the way. Anyway....just another fan of this trail.

I love Waumbek and I cannnot wait to hike it in the winter :)
This summer I hiked Waumbek twice, once with my son Eriic and the second time hiking the Kilkenney Ridge from Cabot to Waumbek. It was great fun!
Perhaps if you had not been injured and the weather was better you would have a different opinion of the day and the mountain.
I would definitely return on a sunny, winter day and I bet you will feel differently : )
kmac

I am really not much of a "list" person. The only reason that I enjoy the lists are that they give me an opportunity to see many new places and things. I would have preferred to hike Washington that day, but circumstances did not warrant an attempt on the big mountain. When I thought about doing Waumbek, I was very excited about hiking a new mountain, seeing a new place, experiencing something new. What I got in return was just a moderate path up the woods that never seemed to go anywhere or visit any cool sites, aka waterfalls, cliffs, beautiful flowers. The only redeeming factor that I got out of the hike was that it was on a list. Maybe I was a curmedgeon b/c Murphy's Law was applying to me that day, but if someone asked me to go hike that hike again, I would say "pass". Maybe others would enjoy this hike, but for me it was pretty blah. Sorry to be so negative on this one, but the journey was not a positive experience towards the end on this hike. Bring on the next mountain!