Old Bridal Path?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAJZHike

Reaction score
What typ of conditions could be expected on this trail going on to the summit of Layafette. Does this trail require ropes or good ice axe skill near the top? I have read the trail descriptions but they do not give a good description of the steepness or ledges above tree line. Thanks for the info.

Just bring crampons and wind gear (including full facial protection) - poles are useful. Won't need a rope by any means. If there's a fresh snowfall you might need snowshoes, but the trail gets so much traffic it packs out quickly.

That's "Old Bridle Path", which practically answers your question. Grades are moderate all the way to the summit, with a couple of slightly steeper steps not far below the Greenleaf hut ("the Agonies"- named by folks with tons of supplies on their backs). It's also wooded almost all the way to the top, so the risk of going anywhere if you do slip is pretty minimal. Take an ice axe if it makes you feel better, but leave the rope behind.

I have read the trail descriptions but they do not give a good description of the steepness or ledges above tree line.
That's what maps are for. interactive lafayette map

leave the rope at home!!!

its very, very moderate all the way up :D - well marked, etc.. its more of an uphill grind more than anything - esp over the 3 agonies, - bring some traction, etc.. there is one section on laff cone that can get "steep" - by steep I mean 25 maybe 30 degrees incline - but its a very short section - not a big deal by any means. depending on what more comfy with axe or poles - bring them. but an axe is no way needed on this trail.

as kevin said - it should be very well broken in - esp if you there on a weekend. it s great hike - I have done it many many times and it never gets old. just like anywhere esle above treeline is exposed and be prepared for high wind, etc.. typical winter stuff 101.

have fun!!

The OBP starts off fairly flat and then begins to climb moderately to the hut. You're in the trees almost all the way to the hut with just the occasional outlook into Walker ravine. There is one section of "greasy" or slippery orange-pink rock as you near the hut. It will probably be totally snow- or ice-covered but if you see orange-pink rock, watch out, it will be slick. Beyond the hut, you're largely above treeline and in the wind. There is an old "cellar-hole" on top that can give some shelter from the wind if you need it. Water crossings won't be a problem, exposure above the hut is always the rub. So, good windproof clothes and traction-devices (bear-claw snowshoes and/or crampons) are in order. Nothing is immoderately steep.

Kevin Rooney said:
Just bring crampons and wind gear (including full facial protection) - poles are useful. Won't need a rope by any means. If there's a fresh snowfall you might need snowshoes, but the trail gets so much traffic it packs out quickly.

Not to be too much of a nay-sayer, but I frequently see this comment about several well traveled mountains.

There will be days when it has just finished snowing like crazy, and there you stand at 6:00 AM at the trailhead, with 2 feet of unbroken snow to break trail thru. SOMEONE has to break those popular routes! Some day it will be YOU! :D

Tom Rankin said:
Not to be too much of a nay-sayer, but I frequently see this comment about several well traveled mountains.

There will be days when it has just finished snowing like crazy, and there you stand at 6:00 AM at the trailhead, with 2 feet of unbroken snow to break trail thru. SOMEONE has to break those popular routes! Some day it will be YOU! :D

Not if you plan properly! You need to know when to sleep in! :D :D

Old Bridle Path

The "Old Bridle Path" ends at Greenleaf AMC hut while the Greenleaf Trail continues to the summit. From the hut it descends slights and runs through scrub and dwarf spruce for a reasonable distance (where blowing/drifting snow can fill in quickly) the ascends to the summit of Lafayette on moderate grades with some stone steps near the summit.
Crampons are usually desirable above treeline in winter and it is not unreasonable to bring an ice axe if you are familiar with self-arrest techniques.
Snowshoes are often not taken because of the high level of traffic on the trail.
This can sometimes be a problem on the Bridle path and on Franconia Ridge where scrubby sections can fill in quickly with blowing snow. At least one party sans snowshoes lost the trail in poor visibility and bogged down in deep snow, requiring rescue (and yes they were billed for it by the state).
With regard to Greenleaf or Bridle path to the summit, the Franconia Ridge trail crosses the Lafayette summit and at least one party took Franconia Ridge in pooor visibility, failed to descend below treeline and overnighted with one fatality.
The Lafayette-Lincoln-Little Haystack is a wonderful scenic traverse which is heavily traveled summer and winter but carelessness can be punished.

bill bowden said:
Snowshoes are often not taken because of the high level of traffic on the trail.
This can sometimes be a problem on the Bridle path and on Franconia Ridge where scrubby sections can fill in quickly with blowing snow. At least one party sans snowshoes lost the trail in poor visibility and bogged down in deep snow, requiring rescue (and yes they were billed for it by the state).
With regard to Greenleaf or Bridle path to the summit, the Franconia Ridge trail crosses the Lafayette summit and at least one party took Franconia Ridge in pooor visibility, failed to descend below treeline and overnighted with one fatality.
The Lafayette-Lincoln-Little Haystack is a wonderful scenic traverse which is heavily traveled summer and winter but carelessness can be punished.

Good reminder re snowshoes and visibility, Bill. Here is the report from 2004 on the fatality of an experienced hiker on Lafayette. Brenda Cox was pronounced dead at Littleton Hospital.

[start quote]March 23, 2004
Overdue Hikers Evacuated From Mt. Lafayette
CONCORD, N.H. -- A search and rescue effort in the White Mountains is nearing its conclusion for a couple from Andover, Massachusetts. Russell Cox was evacuated by helicopter from Mt. Lafayette this morning at around 10:00; rescue personnel said he was able to walk to a waiting ambulance and is now being treated for hypothermia at a local hospital. His wife, Brenda, is being evacuated from the mountain; she is unconscious and in advanced stages of hypothermia, and will be transported to a local hospital for treatment.
The search for Russell and Brenda Cox began Monday afternoon, March 22, when the hikers were reported overdue. A family member said that the couple set out for a day hike in the Whites on Sunday morning, with plans to return home that evening. Lt. Todd Bogardus of N.H. Fish and Game's Region 2 office, who is coordinating the effort, says that N.H. Army National Guard personnel flew a Blackhawk helicopter over the Franconia Ridge area on Monday, after the couple's car was found at the trailhead parking lot for the Falling Waters Trail off Franconia Notch State Parkway. Guard personnel saw no signs of the couple at that time. Search and rescue crews tried but were unable to get up to the ridge on foot because of severe weather conditions. The search was suspended around midnight Monday, and began again Tuesday morning, when search crews were shuttled to the Franconia Ridge Trail and into the Pemigewasset Wilderness by helicopter.
Russell and Brenda Cox were located by helicopter personnel at 9:53 this morning, on a rocky outcropping close to the summit of Mt. Lafayette. Mr. Cox was wearing a yellow jacket and actively signaling to search personnel. According to family members, the Coxes are experienced hikers, with winter hiking and camping experience, and they have hiked Mt. Lafayette several times in the past.
According to Lt. Bogardus, Russell Cox stated this morning that when he and his wife reached the Franconia Ridge Trail on Sunday afternoon, they could not see the cairns (trail markers) or follow the trail because of whiteout conditions. They built a snow cave, where they spent the night on Sunday. On Monday, they tried to move around, but were unable to make progress because of wind and weather; Lt. Bogardus said they "hunkered down" in a rocky cave. [end quote]

sapblatt said:
Not if you plan properly! You need to know when to sleep in! :D :D

damn right! 95% of the time, this trail is packed out. and if its not wait an hour till the people show up - this might be the most popular trail in the whites. :confused: :confused:

don't let that report scare you too much - if you have good weather, this is a great safe, hike. the cairns are decent - in low visablity, you probably shouldn't cross the ridge and do the loop - go up and down OBP/Greenleaf.

many many newbies (not saying this is you) have done this with ease. respect the mt and use judgement - but it's safe hike, your in the trees until the hut and you can make your call to go or not futher there.

I never used snowshoes on this hike. never postholed it either - well maybe once :eek:

Last edited:
We hiked this trail as a loop (Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, & Flume) a few weeks ago. We left our snowshoes in the car but I wish I would have had mine for the walk from Lincoln to Liberty.

My buddies had ice axes, I had poles. There wasn't that much snow that day.

-Shayne

spaddock said:
We hiked this trail as a loop (Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, & Flume) a few weeks ago. We left our snowshoes in the car but I wish I would have had mine for the walk from Lincoln to Liberty.

My buddies had ice axes, I had poles. There wasn't that much snow that day.

-Shayne

Yes, I concur.

spaddock said:
We left our snowshoes in the car but I wish I would have had mine for the walk from Lincoln to Liberty.
-Shayne
That part of the ridge gets very little use most anytime of year, except that it's part of the AT. Most dayhikers do Liberty/Flume or Lincoln/Lafayette/Little Haystack, but not the couple of miles between Little Haystack and the jct with Liberty Springs trail. Personally, I'd always pack snowshoes if that section was on the itinerary, even in May, as it can be posthole-heaven otherwise.

Kevin Rooney said:
That part of the ridge gets very little use most anytime of year, except that it's part of the AT. Most dayhikers do Liberty/Flume or Lincoln/Lafayette/Little Haystack, but not the couple of miles between Little Haystack and the jct with Liberty Springs trail.

That's surprising... A couple of more miles on the ridge to avoid having to regain all that elevation? Plus that section of trail is really nice. Seemed like a no-brainer when I looked at the map.

-Shayne

spaddock,
kevin is right.that section of the ridge is sparsley traveled in the winter. My opinion on that issue is that Littlehaystack to lafeyette and liberty to Flume make good loops in the winter, but linking the two loops together makes for quite along winter day, so most folks pick loop A or B and that leaves that section out of most loops. I train on Liberty and have for years, the section leading to Haystack is unpacked 98% of the time in winter.

Spaddock -

Sierra's right - doing Flume to Lafayette is a bit more than most hikers want to do in a day, particularly since it involves a carspot. I know a few very fast hikers who did this regularly, including going all the way to Garfield, but for those of us mere mortals (or old fharts) one loop or the other makes for a very fine day - add 2 or 3 more and it becomes an epic.

I like that section of the FR but in winter few travel it. I've done it twice in May,once in June, August & September. Both May trips & June had decent snow as it's one of the highest wooded ridges in the Whites, dropping near 4,000 feet (the lowest point is below 4259 of Liberty would be a sub-peak also) Only The ridge between Guyot & S. Twin is a higher wooded ridgeline of 2 miles or so never dropping below 4,380.

In winter, late fall or early Spring I prefer going up OBP firt when thinkig of doing the loop as the Hut is a good place to access continuing going up. I'm also more comfortable descending/finding Falling Waters from Little Haystack in case I make & error on going beyond the hut.

I'd still bring snowshoes as Lafayette has rung up some accidents & fatalities in the last few years with people losing the trail. It's not a Presidential & it's 1,000 feet lower than Washington which I think has led some people into underestimating it.

Kevin Rooney said:
one loop or the other makes for a very fine day - add 2 or 3 more and it becomes an epic.

I fought with this thought the entire drive home. The whole peakbagging vs. hiking debate. I totally agree had I dropped down after Little Haystack I would have had a splendid day with wonderful memories. The peakbagger in me wanted to grab another two peaks. Ended up being an 11 hour day and I was pretty tired when we finished.

Perhaps if I didn't live 5.5 hours away I would choose different routes.

If I could do it all over again, would I do it any differently.... not a chance... ;)

-Shayne

spaddock said:
If I could do it all over again, would I do it any differently.... not a chance... ;) -Shayne
I hear you, spaddock. When we're in peakbagging mode working on the lists, most people (myself included) will consider Lafayette->Flume a "full day". At other times it can border on an epic unless we're blessed an exceptional cardiovascular system.