Snowshoe Recommendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Yamel

Reaction score
What does everyone recommend for snowshoes for winter hiking?

Last edited:
In the $100-200 price range. Winter hiking/backpacking 1-2 times (4ks) per month.

Last edited:
I've got Northern Lites. They were 199 (top end of your price range) but they're VERY light. They provide enough float for me (I'm light), and the claw is good. I originally bought a pair for my wife, who needed a light shoe while recovering from an injury. I liked them so much, I got my own. Weakness is in the binding. The Rubber straps turn stiff and don't stretch well in extreme cold (20 below or colder), and the heel strap slips off unless you modify it with an instep strap. But overall they've been great. Lightness and smallness was my priority, so I could carry them skiing and climbing, and not really notice them on my pack.

TCD

For peakbagging: MSR Denali Ascents: great binding, great crampon, great price. The only drawbacks I've found is they're noisy on hard-packed trails. Also, if you plan to be off-trail in deep snow I'd probably choose something with better flotation.

MSR denali, for the reasons stated by Oldsmores and they are not as pricey as other high end snowshoes. MSR has fantastic cust. service also.

ripple said:
MSR denali, for the reasons stated by Oldsmores and they are not as pricey as other high end snowshoes. MSR has fantastic cust. service also.

Another plug for MSRs. And I agree about C/S.

Also, some models have 'expanders' you can attach to the back.

And isn't club day coming up at EMS !?
:D

I agree the MSR are your best bet. They are in your price range. They have an agressive crampon that work well on hard packed trails and steep inclines, although they are noiser. They have a very easy binding system, especially for backpacking. What makes the MSR's great is the fact you can add tails for deepr snow. They wont float as well as say a tubbs but how often are you going to be in 20+ inch powder and if there is it wont last long.

For your price range, I would also recommend the MSR Denali Ascent ($160), although if you wanted to save a little money you could also opt for the MSR Denali Classic ($130) without loosing too much function. The models are very similar excect that the Denali Ascent has a heel lift mechanism that helps to alleviate calf strain on long uphills, and it has a more agressive traction bar. Depending on your weight, I would also purchase either the 4" or 8" tails. I'd say 160 pounds and under, you can probably get away with 4" tails. Over 160 pounds, and I'd go with the 8" tails. Or, you could just go with the 8" tails regardless, since you always have the option of taking the tails off. If you do use the tails, crank them down very tight so they don't loosen and fall off.

Nice thing about these two MSR snowshoes:

-Steel crampons (last much longer than aluminum)
-Good strap system is easy to use with mittens, bulky gloves, etc.
-Excellent traction
-Fairly light

I'm a big fan of Tubbs snowshoes, but you would have to spend at least $249 for the Elevation Series to get the features above. Even then, the binding on the Elevation is new and untested.

Regardless of which shoe you choose, be sure to put together a snowshoe repair kit and bring it on every trip. While most snowshoes from the big names are of good quality, if you use them enough you will eventually brake them. Without a repair kit, you could be in BIG trouble if you are a long way from the trailhead.

Repair kit should include:
-1 or 2 compression straps (30" or 36")
-4 heavy duty nylon zip ties
-duct tape (15')
-6 feet of nylon cord
-2 extra Cleavis pins (if you have MSR snowshoes)
-2 small bolts and wing nuts (for repairing popped rivets)

I have used the kit above to repair five people's snowshoes in just two winter hiking seasons.

Last edited:
Just to add a little fuel to the fire'

MSR has a new shoe! With an all new superlight frame.
The new "Lightning Ascents" I would most certainly check these out.
I saw these at a show, and later saw them advertised in Backpacker. But I can't seem to find them on their site.

I have seen the MSR Lightning Ascents as well and they do look very promising (as well as being very light), but I don't believe they are available for purchase yet. Let's hope we'll see them on the shelves soon.

I've always loved my Sherpa's and Tubb snowshoes. I've worn the sherpas for 10 years on a multiple week basis and only had them repaired once. The Tubbs are great for getting your feet in and out of them without taking gloves off, but have had to have them repaired at least once in every winter season.

Spoke with an msr rep. last week , the new snowshoes will be in Rei sometime in Nov. in time for the holidays. I am looking forward to seeing them also.

NYBRAD said:
Just to add a little fuel to the fire'

MSR has a new shoe! With an all new superlight frame.
The new "Lightning Ascents" I would most certainly check these out.
I saw these at a show, and later saw them advertised in Backpacker. But I can't seem to find them on their site.

Can you give us a description? What makes them different/better than the Denali model?

I too was taken with the new MSR Lightening Ascents. Very cool.
I visited MSR's website but could find nothing. I stopped at EMS tonight and they didn't know anything about them. I walked over to the mag rack and picked up backpacker and flipped to the page - The clerk was pretty surprised.

I just found them here at REI, I could swear they weren't there yesteday.

MSR Lightning

I am almost ready to buy them without even trying them on, they look so different and are a tiumely replacement for my ~20 year old Sherpas

Cheers

Last edited:
Rick said:
I too was taken with the new MSR Lightening Ascents. Very cool.
I visited MSR's website but could find nothing. I stopped at EMS tonight and they didn;t know anything about them. I walked over to the mag rack and picked up backpacker and flipped to the page - The clerk was pretty surprised.

I just found them here at REI, I could swear they weren't there yesteday.

MSR Lightning

I am almost ready to buy them without even trying them on, they look so different.

Cheers

Very nice shoes and very pricey! Ouch!

Interesting entry from MSR. Looks like a traditional shoe instead of the plastic plate that differentiated MSR. In fact, looks like a carbon copy of the Northern Lites Elite, with the addition of a heel lift bar.

Can anyone tell us what the binding looks like? It's one of the most important features, but it's largely hidden n the picture at REI.

TCD

TCD,

The binding is very similar to the binding on the Denali Classic/Ascent, a big plus in my opinion. Also, perhaps not visible in the photo, the entire bottom of the frame is sharpened into points like the side rails on the Denali Classic/Ascent. I also like the fact that the decking material does not wrap under the bottom of the frame, so it won't be affected so much by wear and tear, abrasion, etc. The shoe looks like it has good potential. My only concern is the "hard" attachment of the binding/crampon directly to the frame. I feel like a "soft" attachment (Tubbs, Atlas, etc.), where the binding/crampon is suspended from the frame, provides for a more natural walking motion, as well as better traction in some situations. The Denali Classic/Ascent also had a "hard" attachment, but the plastic decking flexed slightly to make it feel "softer."

John