Beers in Boston?!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFTT brewfest gathering in Boston

• Let's meet on Monday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd rather meet Tuesday

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • How about "hump day" (Wednesday)?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • I'm game for Thursday

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • TGIF

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Let's get together every day of the week!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I'll wait for another location...

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters
From one vacation to another ... I'll be there. Time is uncertain as I'll have to T in from Alewife, and at that time of day getting anywhere close to that station can be difficult.

Canal Street, right?

Metrowest?

Not to highjack this thread....

How many VFTTer's live in the area of Metrowest/Worcester?

Great bar in Hudson, MA called the Horse Shoe Pub. They have over 100 different beers available. It kind seems like a good fit for hikers IMO. If anyone is interested in something closer to us suburbiens in Metrowest Private Message me.

MichaelJ said:
From one vacation to another ... I'll be there. Time is uncertain as I'll have to T in from Alewife, and at that time of day getting anywhere close to that station can be difficult.

Canal Street, right?

Yup, it's on Canal Street -- half a block from North Station and one block over from Friend Street, where Hilton's Tent City is located!

Looks like I might be able to join in as well...probably around 5:30 or 6ish. I don't think I've met any of you who are coming, but I'll just look for the eclectic crowd and introduce myself!
-katie

Awesome! David, I look forward to hearing your stories from the Long Trail. Sorry we didn't end up meeting you - it turned out that I read an old map and so we would not end up passing the shelter between Pico and the highway, since we were on the Sherburne Pass Trail.

Hey Michael!

I did end up doing a side trip to Pico that Monday (hard to resist a less than two mile round trip to a peak I've never been to), and wandered around Killington's peak as well that day.

I had my one off trail night Sunday at the Inn at the Long Trail. I went there to pick up my mail drop, but it was hard to resist the lure of a nice bar, restaurant food, a hot shower and their hiker discount. I'm trying to finish up my trail journal for the trip amidst other things. I'll probably post a link on the trip reports when I'm done.

There is a very good possibility I can make it; however I'll be driving in from work from Gloucester; I get out around 5:00 / 5:30, and it's about an hours drive in traffic. Will people be hanging around for a while? Parking could be an issue; anyone have suggestions on a cheap place to park near there? Anyone else coming in from the north shore?

Take any of the Commuter rails that go to North Station, the bar is close to it. Also the Orange Line stops in the same area.

As for cheap parking, :eek: that is a relative term, it really doesn't exist in that area of Boston, at least in the business areas in Downtown, Back Bay etc. Some garages however, do have after 5:00 PM parking deals. My garage just went up to $32.00 :eek: for a day..... many are even higher, up to $40.00 per day :eek: .

bobmak said:
There is a very good possibility I can make it; however I'll be driving in from work from Gloucester; I get out around 5:00 / 5:30, and it's about an hours drive in traffic. Will people be hanging around for a while? Parking could be an issue; anyone have suggestions on a cheap place to park near there? Anyone else coming in from the north shore?

There's a 5:30 p.m. commuter rail train out of Gloucester that'll get you to North Station at 6:30. There are several trains that leave from North Station later that night that'll get you back to Gloucester.

I'm not sure about parking around there, though it probably shouldn't be too bad if there are no Fleet/Garden events taking place that night.

I work in Gloucester, but I live in Georgetown, which is 1/2 way between Boston and Portsmouth on 95, about 35 minutes north of the city. Taking the train is tough for me; 1 hour ride to Boston, 1 hour ride back to Gloucester, then a 40 minute drive from Gloucester to G'town. It's easier to drive straight in and park nearby. If people will be hanging out there for a while I'll go; otherwise, I'll pass and wait for the next event on the weekend.

Alpinista: Salem is my old stomping ground. I grew up in Beverly and lived in Salem from 75 until 83 or so. I still go down there once or twice a month to eat and to occasionally check out the music scene.

Take it for what it is worth.

There are plenty of metered spots in that area (Courthouse, The hill, etc.). Been my experience that around that time (5-7pm) it is pretty easy to find a spot. Basically, most people are leaving.

The Common garage, I believe is $8.00 after 6:00pm and is a nice 10 minute walk.

There are three garages worth trying if you want to drive in. The huge, 9-story concrete garage between New Sudbury and New Chardon (often called the Haymarket Garage because it's over the Haymarket Green Line T entrance and busway), the red brick Parcel 7 garage next door off Congress Street (where the Haymarket Orange Line T is), or the garage underneath the Fleet Center.

My recommendation would be to head to the Wellington T station on the Orange Line in Medford. Come down Rte 1 or I-93 and approach on Rte 16 from either direction. There's a huge parking lot that will be emptying that time of day (there's a garage, too, with an overhead people-mover, but you won't need it).

bobmak said:
Alpinista: Salem is my old stomping ground. I grew up in Beverly and lived in Salem from 75 until 83 or so. I still go down there once or twice a month to eat and to occasionally check out the music scene.

Have you been to the seisuns (sp?) at McSwiggins? Great stuff if you like informal Irish music. Rockafellas and the Lyceum also seem to have decent music!

As others have noted, there should be some on-street parking. If not, I think there's a garage at or near the Haymarket T stop. Funny how you walk by stuff every day and never really think about it.