Coleman Feather 442 problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willfoster

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I have had a Coleman Feather 442 stove for about 10 years; unfortunately it's never seen any service / cleaning / oiling but it hasn't been used a lot.

It has started to leak fuel from the small hole in the pump handle when I pump the stove. Obviously I've stopped using it.

Does anyone know how to repair it / where to go to get it repaired in the UK?

Thanks.

Will Foster

Before you rebuild anything, try putting a few drops of oil in that little hole next to the pump where the fuel is leaking out. Probably the seal has dried out and this might fix it. I have good luck with some light oil like 3 in 1 or motor oil.

442 stove

I have a repair kit from Coleman Model#442-5711. It has a new generator, and parts for the pump handle. It says to apply oil to the new pump cup, which is at the end of the pump handle,so like JimB suggested try oil first. The web site is www.coleman.com

Pump check valve?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/parts/parts_stove.asp

try their site for parts. There is a check valve at the bottom of the pump that tends to leak in time. I e-mailed them and they told me to send my stove in, for $7 they replaced the part. My stove is as good as new again.

The generator and pump parts kits are a good idea to do every few years as a precaution anyway.

Thank you all - very much.
I'd already tried oiling through the hole but no benefit; I'd even tried removing the pump handle and oiling the whole of the rubber cup, and even this didn't work.
But the advice to oil was well worth it. I next removed the metal rod which the pump handle slides over, and found a small nut in the bottom (far down)with a slot for unscrewing. I undid this and oiled the whole thing thoroughly before re-assembling. I think the nut has a small ball bearing in it which acts as a valve and I suspect it was jammed so oiling this part may be what did it.
Only did this this evening so not sure if it's solved the problem long term, but seems fine now.
My problem is that (being in the UK) it's hard to find a local repair agent. Most of the service people (including those in this thread) wouldn't mail overseas, and I was a bit reluctant to buy parts when I didn't know what was wrong.
So thanks very much for the help - I really like the stove and was not looking forward to having to replace it.

WF