Gatheriong 7.0 (Catskills) - just hiking requests and plans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slide/Cornell/Wittenberg Friday

Count me in, Audrey! I thought that Hunter was your last peak? Guess that I was wrong, if you have already done it. I have done Hunter and SW Hunter previously, too.:)

How long a day would it be to do Slide, Cornell, Wittenberg as a car spotted end to end and which end would you start at? My inclination is to end further away rather than have to drive back after the car.

We'll be arriving sometime Friday so we can't join you unless you hike it Saturday. Thought if we got there early enough Friday (noon- 1PM?) we'd hike Hunter by the quickest route possible ... don't want to miss Teejays cocktail hour.

We're flexible about what we hike ... like to get in the 4Ks but not compulsive about it. Just not very flexible on our schedule and will have to leave Sunday for work (eck!) related purposesl.

Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide

Stan - Looking at Trail Map 43 for the Southern Catskills, it looks as if is a 9.05 mile trip from the Woodland Valley State Campground to where the trail ends at the Phoenicia- East Branch trail. But, then you have to hike 3.5 miles out to the parking area on County Route 47. So, it is a 13 mile hike done as a thru hike, and it doesn't looks as if there is any other way to do it.

If you just do Wittenberg and Cornell, it is 9.4 miles RT.

Hope this info helps.:)

teejay, Audrey, Stan, Spence, Daxs, bogorchis, etc: count me and Donna into your plans on Friday. I am heading out there on Thursday specifically to hike Slide/Cornell/Wittenberg on Friday, and will try Hunter for Saturday. Just sign me "Compulsive peakbagger":)

It would be a poetic injustice for teejay to miss out on Friday's hike!

Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide through trip distance is 9.75 miles

The Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide through trip distance is only 9.75 miles (9.05 on the W-C-S trail plus 0.70 out to CR 47, Slide Mt trailhead). The Slide Mt trailhead is 1.15 miles south of Winnisook Lake. I think bogorchis 3.5 miles out to CR 47 was perhaps based on the distance between the Curtis-Ormsbee trail and the Giant Ledge trailhead on CR 47 (3.45 miles).

Which direction for a through hike? May depend on whether you prefer to climb or descend. The CR 47 Slide Mt. trailhead is about 1100' higher than the Woodland Valley trailhead.

If I may make a suggestion, if you're not planning on making the big loop to do C-W-S then back through Giant Ledge& Panther, or even if you do but want an even longer trip, try to do the Curtis-Ormsbey trail. Shawn and I did this in winter and it is a great trail that cuts through the pine and it's really pretty in winter. I'm sure it's just as nice now and in either case, the road towards Winisook lake from Slide (the short way) is pretty much a fireroad and isn't as nice.

Jay

I'm in on the Slide/Cornell/Wittenberg hike, too! Can't wait for Thursday....counting down the hours here at work.

Re: Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide through trip distance is 9.75 miles

Mark Schaefer said:
The Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide through trip distance is only 9.75 miles (9.05 on the W-C-S trail plus 0.70 out to CR 47, Slide Mt trailhead). The Slide Mt trailhead is 1.15 miles south of Winnisook Lake. I think bogorchis 3.5 miles out to CR 47 was perhaps based on the distance between the Curtis-Ormsbee trail and the Giant Ledge trailhead on CR 47 (3.45 miles).

Which direction for a through hike? May depend on whether you prefer to climb or descend. The CR 47 Slide Mt. trailhead is about 1100' higher than the Woodland Valley trailhead.

I have never done W-C-S from the Woodland Valley end, (the hard way). I also have not done Giant Ledge/Panther. Is anyone interested in one/both of these? I am local and planning to be there for Friday only.:( I have commitments for Saturday and Sunday. I may be able to make a night hike up Overlook on Saturday if that is planned.

What time Friday Morning would the hikes begin? When is the Overlook night hike planned, if at all?

I can't wait till Friday.

Stan, Audrey, et al.,

Dave and I are interested in Slide, but we won't arrive until Fri p.m., :mad: so Saturday will have to be the day for us, if anyone is planning to do it then. My guess is that we'll do Hunter Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Brenda

We'd be doing Slide on Saturday, either the end to end or just from 47 depending upon the weather. We hope to arrive early enough Friday at least to do Hunter then.

Friday hike

I'm still planning on hiking Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide in that order on Friday. Even though that is the "hard way" as others have mentioned, for me the harder it is going up, the harder still it is going down. Descending Slide should be a walk in the park. The section of the descent of Wittenberg, from below the Terrace Mt. trail junction to Woodland Valley, 'bout did me in when I did it in April.

teejay

I like the key swap idea! I haven't had a chance to look at a map yet to know which direction we'll plan to hike, but sounds like there are some nice options.

So, sounds like Slide for us on Sat., Hunter on Sun.

Can't wait!

Teejay, I think my first hike in the catskills and my first real snowshoe hike was going up to Wittenburg from Woodland Valley in January. I remember going up that steep section after Terrace Mtn to the summit. We got a really late start like 10am so we decided not to push it to Cornell which turned out to be a wise decision.

Jay

Has everyone checkd out the weather report for the weekend? Friday seems like it will very rainy. Chnace of showers the rest of the weekend.:(

Given the weather outlook we'll probably start Slide at rt. 47 and can add 2-3 passengers. Will eat breakfast enroute rather than at camp in that case.

Ok, it looks like I'll be there Friday afternoon or early evening.

If I follow Sherpa's directions, will I end up on any twisty remote roads in the pouring rain anticipating a moose-car encounter?

My Boston - Eustis trip was several rain filled hours like that.

I've made no hiking plans and don't know anything about the Catskills..but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone....but wait, no Spencer (Maine)? Where am I going to sleep if it rains?

So! If someone would be kind enough to let me tag along on Saturday, I would be thrilled...

I can bring a cooler - but will that help Harryk at all if I get there Friday night? By Friday night, I expect the beer total will have decreased substantially.

:)

Last edited:
i was thinking saturday sw hunter (canister) from diamond notch and then hunter (4040'/firetower) if anyone wants them, but i have been there many times so i can go anywhere (in the rain).

Alas, work, weather, and travel has forced me to cancel. I can't make it to the Gathering and I'm pretty bummed about it. Seeker/Brenda won't be going either.

I'll be missing you guys, have a great time!

-dave-