ISO Car camping checklist

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabina

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have a checklist that they use when packing for car camping? We have some gear already but are trying to make sure we're not missing anything essential before we head out to Shenandoah. A checklist would help us out a lot when we do our final pretrip REI / EMS / Walmart shopping.

We've got the tent, thermarests, and sleeping bags. For a family of 2 plus toddler, I think we'd need:

- 2 tarps (under the tent plus an extra one for something misc. but maybe 1 will do?)

- rope

- lantern (any advice on a good one? for car camping it doesn't need to be light but would prefer a compact, long-lasting model)

- camp stove (any advice on whether liquid gas or canister? which type of fuel is cheaper/more accessible/effective? anyone use Coleman models and like it?)

- waterproof matches and container
- knife
- whistle
- headlamps

- assemble first aid kit w/moleskin, bandages, antibacterial ointment, hydrocortisone, and ???????
- insect repellent/sunscreen

- cooking equipment .... can i use some regular old pots and pans from home to fit the camp stoves or do i need to buy a camping stove cookware set?

- good cooler
- utensils, cups, plates
- camp soap for dishes
- kitchen towel

anything else???? really appreciate your help !

Sabina

Here is my list, hope it helps.

Tent
Small Tent
Tarps
Ground Cloths
Canopy
Poles
Seam seeler
Pillows
Hammock
Blanket
Table Cloth
Clips
Sleeping Bags
Pads
Broom
Shoe Goo
Trash Bags
Chairs
Duck tape
String-rope
Flashlights
Door Mat
Fire Grate
Dish Pan
Soap
Water Bottles
Cooler-Ice
Dishes
Utensils
Pans
Shower Stuff
Stove(s)
Fuel
Matches
Check Bikes
Bike Pump
Towels
P-knife
First Aid
Sun Screen
Axe
Camera-camcorder
Digital Camera-Chargers
Film
cell phone
Radio
Batteries
Headlamp
Candle Lamps
Kindling
Wood?
Ant Killer
Bug Spray

Thank you

Thank you for sharing your list Quietman and also Barbarossa for the idea to make sure the car battery is charged - something I probably wouldn't have remembered!
Sabina

Sabina said:
Thank you for sharing your list Quietman and also Barbarossa for the idea to make sure the car battery is charged - something I probably wouldn't have remembered!
Particularly important in winter...

My college outing club also had a protocol that the next-to-last car didn't leave until the last car had its engine started. (Even better if noone leaves until all car engines are started.)

Carry jumper cables, too.

Doug

Last edited:
Ah, car camping, bring it all

We can pretty much pack the coolers with groceries and leave. We keep all our stuff in large plastic tubs pre-packed.

Large tent
Hammer, for tent pegs.
4-Tarps, 1 undertent, 1 over tent, 1 to cover bikes, 1 spare
2-long painter poles adapted to pitch tarp over tent only used if raining..
Extra stakes
Small broom w/ dustpan
50’ line
Sleeping bags
Pillows
2 queen size air mattresses
Air Pump, plug into car
2 fluorescent lanterns, battery operated. No fuel type in tent!

Table cloth
Frying pan, used previously as primary at home
Medium sauce pan, used previously as primary at home
Cutting board, used previously as primary at home (starting to get the idea?)
Large knife
Stove, cheap, screws on top of 1lb squat gas containers.
1-1lb can gas
Long snout lighter
Fire grate for cooking over either wood or charcoal, hold fry pan, too.
Salt/pepper
Couple gallons water
Paper towels
Bowls, paper/ plastic
Plates, paper/ plastic
Cups, paper/ plastic
Adult cups plastic
Spoons
Forks
Knives
Wet wipes
Zip bags
Garbage bags
Dish soap
Scrubby
Sponge
towel

Huge Coleman cooler block ice melts slower, need cubes for when little campers go to bed. Sometimes we bring 2 coolers one for food, it’s opened less frequently, and one for drinks, opened very frequently. Some campgrounds require leaving food in the car. It’s easier to have smaller coolers to transport.

Chairs
Playing cards
Cribbage board
Duct tape

Headlamps 1/person
flashlight
battery charger
sunscreen
weather radio (no other radios required)
digi-camera
compass
maps
gps
binoculars
pocket knife
phone in car

campfire wood/ create kindling with claw of hammer, 20 oz. framing, see above.
citroenella pots
bug spray

THEN…if we bring bikes it means all the bike equipment. We are also always ready to hike, meaning day packs with all the acoutrements. Or do you wanna kayak? Well then…

You get the picture. We’ve been doing this a s family of 4 out of the back of Toyota Sienna without the third row of seats, packed to the gills. It’s still fun.

If you find campgrounds with hot showers near resort areas the tourons won't look at you funny. They don't like the smell of campfire. There are some fairly rustic campgounds without power, this discourages the RV's.

Jim

I tried to not duplicate what others replied with...

Barbeque utensils and brush if cooking on a charcoal/wood fire
Can opener/corkscrew/bottle opener/swiss army knife
Spare mantles for the lantern or candles if you use a candle lantern
Firestarter (I use sawdust mixed with wax from old candles poured into a cardboard egg carton, one square does it)
Coffee pot/press - I use a GSI lexan press (damn caffine addiction)
Grill (I use a Texsport from Campmor, 16x24in., with two inches cut off the legs to bring it closer to the coals.)
For a charcoal chimney, I use one of the big coffee cans with the ends cut off and one of the firestarters above.
Spare batteries/rechargables in each size you use
Bin for dishes -- needed where sinks are provided to wash
Small bottle of Woolite in case I have to pick from the dirty clothes bag

I also use two coolers and make ice in 1/2 gal. juice containers. Leave in the containers for the food and it won't become water logged.

For the toddler, bring the porta-potty if they use it.

Have fun.
Jim

Last edited: