Do we want more snow?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want more snow in the mountains this winter?

• Yes, bring it on!

Votes: 106 69.3%
  • No, isn't it time for spring?

Votes: 47 30.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Were I a skier, I'd be rooting for even more of the white stuff. But I'm a snowshoer, and I'd say we already have enough for that and then some.

S'posed to do Tripyramids via the slides in a week and a half. Should be "interesting".

peakbagger said:
Need more snow to fill in Tuckerman's. Been a few years since we have had true late "spring" skiing in the bowl. The last good snow year I remember going up to Hermit Lake and noticing that many of the shelterss were buried over the roof and accessed by a tunnel!

Maybe a year for snowshoes on Memorial day?

Not sure if the folks with riverfront would agree :(
2005 you needed snowshoes on the Twinway in late May - I know because I did not bring mine! :eek:

More

I voted for more. Now I know why the bears ripped up my three apple trees last fall and took every apple. In the five winters I have been in my house that had never happened before. Next time they do that I'll be ready. I've put ten cords of firewood through the eight by fourteen inch openings of my two woodstoves so far this winter. All self cut, hauled, split and stacked. Looking forward to the next round of wood gathering. I really do love winter :D

Maybe ten years ago, I didn't bring my snowshoes on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND the first time I did Bunnell Notch to Cabot. The stretch on Kilkenny Ridge between Cabot and Unknown Pond was covered with 3+ of snow, postholed like mad by some rather inconsiderate moose, with a stream flowing underneath. It was friggin' awful.

More snow???? Sure,why not!!!

I'm headin' for Tortola in ten days! :D

Actually I'm hoping to get more winter hiking and camping time before spring.
But till then.....

peakbagger said:
N. The last good snow year I remember going up to Hermit Lake and noticing that many of the shelterss were buried over the roof and accessed by a tunnel!

I sure wish I had seen that!
Maybe we could have a repeat this year.
I love snow and IMHO we can never have enough.
Bernie and Kodi feel the same way :D

I want tons of snow until March 22, then the sun should come out, it should all melt the next day, and the mud should dry up the day after that.

The Twinway not only gets the most snow in my opinion in the White Mountains or the NE, but it keeps it for a very long time. I hear time and time again of snow up there in May that needs snowshoes. -Mattl

I wouldn't mind having more snow days (even if we do have to make them up in June.) It's real nice getting that call and knowing I can go back to sleep :D

Do we want more snow

It can snow until May in the mountains as far as I am concerned..what a great winter for hiking..skiing..etc ...etc... But I, for one, have enough in my back yard..40 inches measured this evening...and have no place left to pile it.. So , my vote is a tempered..no more snow here..keep it at the higher elevations...the "play" zones...Time to go shovel......

I've had enough. I've even been lucky, not too much in SE CT but whacking through the tree canopy that is usually over your head is no fun more than one time a year.

We are lookin at depths similar to late 97. I don't recall the winter being bad but several last season storms. I recall the Rollins trail in early May being hard to follow in spots because the snow was above the trail markers on the trees. Memorial Day weekend 96 I was on the Twinway & the only reason we did not use snowshoes was because it was cold enough that the snow/ice mixture held us most of the time. Was 2-3 feet still.

I also prefer crampons to snowshoes

7-22-07-029.v.jpg

8-05-07-057q.jpg

8-05-07-111q.jpg

8-05-07-142q.jpg

8-05-07-016q.jpg

6-21-07-045.jpg

6-16-07-119.jpg

more snow...oh no!!

Hey

Lest we forget..those are some great shots of spring and what lies ahead..

Missing was the close up of the black fly cloud and the boot sucking mudhole by South hancock..

that being said...New hampshire is for the 4 seasons...this has been an incredible winter..here's hoping for a beautiful spring..

still snow ing in Meredith

actual snow depth on the picnic table this evening..37 inches.. and that has melted down to nothing twice this winter....

I think I can imply what forestgnome answered...and I agree! As a famous person once said, "bring it on!"

First storm of the year in Hanover where we didn't get "nickel and dimed." I finally got to use my snowshoes in town for the first time all year. So as far as I'm concerned, it can snow till mid April. :)

Spring always returns. Last year it snowed till mid April here and less than a week later the flowers were out, and a few days after, buds were on the trees.

grouseking